• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping Fish Fresh

Crickschop04

Crickschop04

so what was the bad experience?

I usually put them on a nylon stringer and tie the end off on an old branch or driftwood next to the shore where I am fishing. When I need to move, I just untie the stringer and take it with me. The stream water keeps them cool and alive until I am done fishing.

A little bit more of hassle but I never had a problem with it.

If you are looking to be a bit more mobile a creel might be up your alley. Never used one before but i am sure one of the others could tell you more about them.

Redbeard5289

Redbeard5289- I was using the stringer technique that you mentioned, but had about a 20min back on a road in 85+ temps. and those fish didn't taste so good.

If that's the case bring a cooler with you with ice and throw them on when you leave the river.

I don't keep many trout, but when I do, I want them to be in great condition when I cook them.

I carry a small canvas creel in the back of my vest.

When I decided I'm going to keep some fish, I get it wet, put the fish in it, and the evaporation process keep the contents somewhat cool. I try to minimize how long it is before I get them on ice. I don't think you can keep them in good condition for more than a couple hours without ice. I have also found that killing and cleaning the fish immediately after catching them greatly improves the quality. It is illegal to throw entrails in the water or ground, so you have to pack that out with you wink

We always gut the fish right away. Then pull some long grass, get as wet as possible and put in a wicker creel. Then bury the trout in the grass. Every once and awhile you can rewet the grass.

Get a Creel- the new creels don't require fern or grass like a wicker creel does but if you carry em with you and keep the creel in the water they stay fresh and when your done for the day gut em and put em in the cooler with some ice. I have never had an off tasting trout using that method.

I carry one of those small freezer packs used as an alternative to ice to keep a small cooler cold in a zip-lock bag in my vest. Depending on how close to quitting/going back to the truck I am, I'll either gut the fish on the stream, or do it back at the Ranger. I throw the fish in the zip-lock with freezer pack, a carry it in the back of my vest. Works every time and isn't too heavy either.

Keeps me a bit more cool on those hot days as well.

i use a small soft sided cooler like you would use for six packs or lunch field dress the fish add a ice pack if you get one that the ice pack zips in the top section you can use the botom section for fish and ice pack and the top makes a nice little place for your gear like fly reel with different line fly box tippets what not .

On that rare occasion, when I feel like grilling some fresh trout, I go with a plan.

First, I fish waters I know hold a sizeable population of trout. This will make it easier walking away with dinner.

Secondly, I strategize. When do I plan to leave, where will I park, what stretch of water close to where I park has decent runs, when do I plan to eat.

Most important...how MANY do I PLAN to keep and what size.

ALWAYS...know your intentions before that first cast. Know if you plan to keep a fish or two or release. Crimp when planning to release and when keeping . Don't be choosy. If a trout is an inch or two on either side of preference keep it.

Your choice for dinner should never impact a body of water lake, stream or river!!!

Example for keeping: there will only be my wife and I eating trout tonight so only 2, three at most needed.

Great grilling lengths are the 12 to 14 inchers. No need for larger and smaller some times cook too fast.

The kept trout usually aren't caught all that long before I leave. For instance, I'll catch and release, gaging the bite. Fish for a while, then when it's time to leave work back to the vehicle, planning to keep dinner.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W