• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yet another jig tying thread

I've been watching the jig threads here and I thought I'd add the process that I have developed for making my jigs. I have tried many different paints, feathers, hair, skirts, etc., and here is how I make them these days. Enjoy.....

The first step is casting the heads, and for this I use primarily Do-It molds, but I have carved a few of my own designs as well. The large stand up head is from one of my molds, cut before Do-It offered that design.

Image001.jpg

Next step is paint and for that I have switched to the powder process. You can use a heat gun or a torch but those methods have no temperature control. I use an old toaster oven where I modified the rack to hang the jigs. The box on top is a temperature control that I made (I used to sell industrial resistance heating products) that allows me to accurately control the oven. You don't really need the controller, and any old garage sale toaster oven will work just fine with a little experimentation on the setting. You want the jigs to be about 250 degrees for coating and curing. Don't use your wife's or mom's oven for this. You know what might happen there wink

Image002.jpg

Following the instructions on the powder paint, coat the heads with a generous layer of powder, then return them to the oven to cure. If you like, you can two tone them using a little garden hose filter to sift the powder onto the hot jig like this;

Image003.jpg

Once you have the base color applied, the eyes can be dotted on. I use a bamboo skewer with a pad of foam from the craft store for the large dots, then a small nail filed flat for the pupil dot.

Image004.jpg

Here is the batch ready for tying up;

Image005.jpg

Closeup of a two tone head;

Image006.jpg

I do some of my jigs with silicone skirts. It's fast and easy, and they make nice lures for use with plastics.

Image007-1.jpg

The rest of the batch will get bucktail dressing. Here is the first one ready to start;

Image008.jpg

First, I apply some head cement to glue everything to the powder finish. You can buy this at the tackle store or just get the cheap nail polish at BuyMart. The nail polish comes with a handy brush too! I wrap the hair on a bit at a time, pushing it around the collar as I go. When the hair is evenly distributed, I apply another coat of cement and wrap everything tight, finishing up with a few half hitches. A final coat of dressing completes the jig.

Image009.jpg

This one has some Flashabou added to make it interesting;

Image010.jpg

Here is the batch done and ready for the tackle box;

a>

I hope you enjoy this and please post any comments or questions. I would like to share what I have learned here and help anyone that wants to try making their own jigs!

Jordyn,

The close up focus is a function of the depth of field of the camera lens. When the lens focuses on the close object, the background goes out of focus. In effect it has a window of distance or "depth" where it is focused and closer/farther from the lens the focus drops away.

Hydro - real nice stuff! The pink and white jig looks to be what Do-It calls the Sparkie head? Are those 1/4 oz? Also do you happen to know if a #1 hook will fit in the 1/4 oz cavity? Specks call for a 1/0 hook.

I really like the looks of that head and its one I have not played around with. She looks like it would come across the bottom well...

DC,

I think that mold started out as the "Sparkie" but I have modified it to take either flat eye or 1623 60 degree hooks. Most of my molds have been tweaked slightly to accept different sized hooks because I just cannot leave things like that well enough alone. The jigs in the pics have either 3/0 or 4/0 Carlisle hooks that have been de-kirbed and bent to fit the molds. I like the Carlisle hooks because they are long for the size of the bend and their temper allows them to be bent without breaking. Jann's Netcraft has thenm.

Hydro - Thanks! Turns out a guy that molds some of my stuff has the Sparkie mold. Now I gotta play with what hooks I want. I cant get used to that longer carlisle style. Im eyeing up the BLN series but want something fine wire. Looks like mustad has an ultra point fine wire which I like for my 1/4's and 3/8ers. Then I gotta find a #1 for some 1/8th's. crazycool

I cant "leave well enough alone" either... There is always better...

DC,

Because the Sparkie mold uses 60 degree hooks, the selection is pretty limited, and most of the options will be heavy or forged wire. You could carve out the eye pocket to take the eye as shown in my pics, and then you could use standard aberdeen hooks bent to fit. There's your fine wire solution.

Mustad has a nice 60 degree Ultra Point hook that is between regular and fine wire 32729, only starts in 1/0 though. I personally prefer as small of a hook as I can use with hair jigs, I want the fish to be able to pick it up and not feel the hook and spit immediately. Just my personal preference