• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog training collar

The pro trainer that is taking my dog this summer reccomended dogtra or tri tronics.. he said that the lower end model was all i would need.. something with a tone (emphasis on this feature) & constant and momentary stimulation options.. I know very little about this myself just so you know..

I have Dogtra models and like them. A big issue is knowing how to use it. Go to the mfg's websites as most have downloadable videos or manuals. You can really screw a dog up if you use the juice the wrong way.

Seems like every thread I read on this comes down to TriTronics and Dogtra being the top two. I have a Dogtra 2300ACP,but I haven't had it that long. I do love the size of the transmitter and the build quality. Seems like a very durable unit. I also love that it has a lithium ion battery instead of NiMh.

One thing I think is silly is the 128 levels. There's no way in heck that a dog can tell the difference between, say, 41 and 42. I know I can't. I'd like to see that taken down to 32 or so, so a step up or down actually meant something. Not a big deal though.

I just got my dog back a from Cannon River Kennels a couple weeks ago where he was FF and collar conditioned. They only used the nick feature. I asked why they didnt' use the vibrate and they said that they leave that alone so I can use it for any command I want. I had never thought of that. I had heard of folks using it instead of the nick, but not as a different command. The trainer I talked to said he uses it on his dog to get him to check-in, but not to heel. I'll probably go that route, but I'm going to wait to go through another hunting season to decide.

I know many folks use the pager or vibrate feature as a "kinder" nick, but my dog responds to a 25 (out of 128), which is a pretty low burn, so I don't see where a vibrate instead really is all that much more kinder. I'd rather use it for a command.

I have never used one but I just purchased a dogtra 2000 t&b

for my pup. Going through hunting class now so will learn how to use it there. The trainer told me to go with tritronics or dogtra and I picked dogtra for the size looks a little smaller for the transmitter.

good luck

I have the dogtra, I use the vib when I want him to come. I press it 2 times and he comes a running. He took to it pretty fast, Had him sit then pressed the vib button twice and said come. Now even if he cant hear me he knows what to do.

Have owned Tritonics and Dogtra and in my opinion the Dogtra is a much more reliable collar system. I had repeated issues with Tritronics collars. Couldn't turn them on/off, battery issues with brand new collars, cheap antenna's. I had enough and made the switch to Dogtra and haven't had a single issue in 5 years.

I don't care if Tritronics has been around since 1968. The reliability of their products will keep me buying competitors products.