• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Shaft Lenth and Thrust for Bow Trolling Motor

TroutYammer

I have 2000 16-FT Lund Rebel and am wondering what shaft length and LB Thrust you recommend to mount an electric trolling motor on the bow of this boat? I want to stay with a 12-Volt motor.

Also...since the bow has limited mounting space what models have a small footprint for mouting on the bow?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I think the biggest you can get is 55lb in a 12 volt motor. I would no go any lower. If you fish bigger waters at all I would recommend a 54 inch shaft. The power drive minn kota is a fairly small footprint. I would highly recommend the auto pilot model.

The PowerDrive V2 and the Terrova will have the smallest footprint for mounting on the bow.

55 lbs is the highest thrust you can get with a 12 volt motor.

If I am picturing your boat correctly, it sits low enough to the water that a 48" shaft should be fine, although there's nothing wrong with a 54" shaft ..... the only downside is the extra 6" of space it will take up when not stowed.

There's rebates on the PowerDrive V2s and Terrovas right now. You can check them out HERE