• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bad ice and very heavy snow??

kc0myy

well down here in annandale we got about 5" of very heavy wet snow. the ice is really crappy (not crappie lol). my question is what will all this heavy wet snow do to the ice? will it make the ice come of sooner? will be prolong the ice out date? I just want to get into my boat soon.

I wish we would have only got 5". Up here we got anywhere from 17-20 depending on who you talk to. My yard has about 17". The ice was still pretty solid once you got away from shore. I think it will prolong the icemelt as the sun has to melt all the snow first and then the ice. Hopefully that happens before may 9th.......

well I was thinking that too but with is being so heavy. there is a lot of water and when that melts it would soften up the ice and if the wind picked up that it would break up the ice. so I was not sure so I thought I would ask thanks for the input.

warm temps will help alot.

Water temperatures do help the process, but without the sun being able to penetrate the ice and snow, the water has a hard time warming up. If the body of water has moderate flowage via runoff and stream or river then things will progress a little faster, but the snow definitely will insulate the ice and not allow the sun and air temperatures as well as the wind to penetrate and deteriorate as fast.