• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Holes in floor of wood trailer

LwnmwnMan2

Question

I just bought another enclosed trailer.

It's used, and the guy had it to haul motorcycles.

He had a couple of mounts where you drive the front tire and lock the bike in.

There's about 8 (8) 1/2" - 1" holes in the floor.

They're towards the middle of the trailer (8.5' wide) and towards the front, so I don't think alot of road spray will get into them, and with the trailer being enclosed, there won't be alot of water running down through the holes.

I'd like to patch them for the sake of trying to keep mice out when I use the trailer for storage in the winter.

Anyways, I know I could stuff the holes with aluminum foil or dryer sheets, but those won't stay with the vibration of the roads, or driving the equipment over.

Would something like that spray foam insuclation work, then cut it off flush with the floor, and then I was thinking about putting in Herculiner or Line-X, as it would help with cleaning the trailer periodically through the summer.

Anyone with any other ideas other than just screwing some pieces over the holes?

6 answers to this question

Just put some 1/2 inch carriage bolts thru the holes and crawl under to put the nuts on. Use galvanized bolts. The smooth round heads won't even be noticed. Works great and nothing to fall out. Quick and easy.

On the the smaller holes make plugs out of dowel, just cut them off at 3/4" apply glue to the dowel and hole and tap them in flush.

The large holes use a hole saw and make plugs out of what ever 3/4" stock you have laying around. Glue and tap them in.

I would use car body putty, the can said it was good for wood and I used it on my water trough wood cover. The wood filler that I had used to patch before would'nt last more than a couple of months in the weather but this body filler is showing no signs of getting bad after 5 months.