Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrpike1973

how to carp fish

12 posts in this topic

hello i would like to try carp fishing in the crow river i havbe a decent rod do i bobber fish slip sinker what size hooks and what kind of bait thank you

Well your probably going to find as many techniques as you do fishermen....Alot can depend on the type of water your fishing, generally some type of slip-sinker rig with sweet corn or nightcrawlers is the most common, others swear by the hair-rig. I also know alot of anglers fly fish to persue carp.

simple 1/2 oz or 3/4 ounce sinker, size 6 hook with 3 or 4 corn kernels on it. Cast out and wait!

night crawlers work really good as well. just wait for a good rain and go pick them off the road.

if thry aren't in a biting mood bow and arrow works really good also smile just make sure its after may 1

I fish on the bottom by any means I have, use whole kernel sweet corn right from the can.

I've seen people have luck on red headed jigs with chartreuse plastic twister tail grubs at my fav. community spot early in the year when there's more water and current than in summer.

As a kid I would walk down to the river and use dough, flour and water mix nothing fancy. Gob it on the hook and let it sit on the bottom.

Back when treble hooks were legal I would fill one with sweet corn and had a lot of luck.

Now days, when I go and fish the MN River I use nightcrawlers for bait and I believe it's just as good of a bait as corn. Yes, you will catch other fish but if you are targeting Carp then some may be a pleasant surprise (Shovelnose Sturgeon or Flathead Catfish). I use a 2 oz bank slip sinker, with a swivel and 12" leader (same as my Catfish setup: --line--slip sinker--swivel--leader--hook). For hooks I typically use 5/0 Team Catfish circle hooks, but are a bit on the large size for Carp. 3/0 or 1/0 would probably be more ideal, but in the MN River I have caught large Flatheads with my setup so I would like to have something that will work for just about any fish who wants to take a crawler.

Do you just gob the crawler onto the hook?

Gob away

I catch plenty of carp with crawlers. What's great is crawlers also bring variety. Just by throwing a crawler in the river I've caught carp, quillback, variety of different redhorse, goldeye, mooneye, yellow bass, drum, sturgeon, channel and flatheads, etc.

MinnesnowtaWild. Do you just gob the crawler onto the hook?

I hook them like I would a plastic worm for bass... but im sure there really is no wrong way to do it