• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recap on the 2008-2009 Season

bassNspear

As always, my primary goal to start the season is to get a pig for the wall. Failed, but maybe saw one early in the season and I will be back there looking for the big girl again early next season.

Second goal was to be more selective with my spearing and pass on anything over 30" not going on the wall. Ended up spearing a couple 30.5" fish, but passed on at least three 33"+ easily spearable fish. Highlight was on the last day passing on a healthy 35 incher. She came in and ate my just-about-dead 12" sucker attached to a decoy pin, after a little fight she spit out the sucker, but than came back and did it all over again!

It was great to get some family and friends out in a spearhouse, some for their first time. I think next year they will be buying their own spearing licenses.

Hopefully next year will be spent in a comfier spearhouse, maybe with two holes.

Although I don't post on here often. I check this section of the forum everyday! From reading all your comments and advice, I can see this is a great community to be around. I wish I would have gotten the chance to be at one of the GTG, but I am too far up north. Hopefully there is a GTG up here next year, so I can attend!

As for the season I was only able to get out on weekends since I am still in high school, but I still managed to get out about 12 times. Most of the season I seen a fair amount of pike, but none had any size. I brought my girlfriend along one day, and she ended up dropping her Ipod Touch down the hole! A minnow scooper taped onto a ice saw and a hour later, the Ipod was retrieved. Being a little upset from what happened, she cheered right up after spearing her first northern right behind the head!

As the last weekend of the season approached, I decided I wanted to be out there as much as possible. Saturday morning my brother and I left early and each set up are houses about 75 yards from each other. We seen northerns, walleyes, bass, sunnies, and perch continuously both days. I wish I would have brought the camera! At one time there ended up being 7 bass in my hole! I ended up with a 9lber and 8lber along with my brother jabbing an 8 too (Northerns not Bass laugh ). My PB so far for spearing is 10lbs so I got close! The best part of the weekend though had to be seeing the Big One! My brother and I seen it through each of our holes both days but it never would actually come in for a shot. It would eye up the decoy from the back of the hole and then whip its massive body around as if it was teasing us and then wave good bye with its tail! We tried both days to get a decoy sucker but all bait shops around here were done stocking them for the winter. Things might have been different if we had one, but I guess we will never know. It is still swimming in the lake and we will definitely be back next season to try again!

drilled a hole on the handle of icesaw and put a lifeline/rope on it the day after the last gtg. grinsmile no more chiseling. i would entertian the brainerd area for a gtg and spend an evening. if my wife lets me! blusheeksmirk ELWOOD, to bad the gtg wasnt last weekend, i could of regained my nord lord and prince of pike title. looks like it will need to wait. enjoy the crown big guy. smirkgringrinwhistlewink

im thinkin you are. we speared you didnt. cryshockedsmirk sorry bud. elwood, yes we seen a lot of fish in 2 days. and big bass, we are talkin 4-5 lbers. wife cliams she seen one 6-7? cant verify that. you should see what she thinks is 8 inches. crazysmirkwhistle it was especiallt crazy sat the last hour, fish in the hole all the time, 2 at a time sunnies bass nords, lotz of seed for next year. and yes enjoy your reign.

why, how do you figure? whadda mean? look at whos got the most posts! laughsmirkwink now whos got more time on there hands? smirkwinkwhistle been pretty quite for a while bns.looked like the bowfisher people where taken over. hows it going? headed north to eliminate a few jumbe perch from winnie this weekend, and to chase some sunfish. gringrin

why, how do you figure? whadda mean? look at whos got the most posts! laughsmirkwink now whos got more time on there hands? smirkwinkwhistle been pretty quite for a while bns.looked like the bowfisher people where taken over. hows it going? headed north to eliminate a few jumbe perch from winnie this weekend, and to chase some sunfish. gringrin

Im taken a few steps back. Have to make a living, and you dont do that here!

BNS is back working for ones, that's why he has been quite!!! LOL. Glenn im guessing you idea of chasing sunfish is driving around on your ATV hehehehe smile
thats what you must do with that sled. laughlaughwhistle hope its a bombardier! smirksmile or do you make nord drives for bns? smilegrinwhistle