• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motercycle rental for a road test

Dozer

Is there anywhere you can rent a motorcycle to take your road test in the north metro? I know they have a service that rents out trucks for your Class A test but dont know if they do the same for a cycle.

Don't know if it is an option for you or if you have thought about it, but that saftey class that the state offers is a wonderful deal. They provide the bike (little 250-400cc), and all of the instruction, and finally the test itself. I had an R-6 and could not pass the road test. (That darn cone weave got me everytime). But that class broke me of some bad habits that I had. I also pass the test missing not one point.

If you take the class you will test out through the weekend process, It's a great class plus you may even be able to take 10% off your ins bill because they like safe drivers. Then next year take the advanced course. This class gives you real life situations 1-20 years after you have had your lic.I know people that have rode bikes for 40 years that came away impressed. But sign up now because class's fill real;fast.

Don't know if it is an option for you or if you have thought about it, but that saftey class that the state offers is a wonderful deal. They provide the bike (little 250-400cc), and all of the instruction, and finally the test itself. I had an R-6 and could not pass the road test. (That darn cone weave got me everytime). But that class broke me of some bad habits that I had. I also pass the test missing not one point.

Had the same problem with a CBR600 I used to have. Only had the bike for a summer so I never did get a licence.

Where can I sign up for this class? Sounds exactly like what I am looking for!

Dozer, call around to some of the local community colleges in your area that is where my wife took it and they supplied the bikes as well. There are some bigger motorcycle dealers that have the course as well but if you did not buy a bike from them it is quite spendy. The HD dealer in our area does them in the summer but as I recall they were about a hundred dollars more than the CC. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I've been thinking of signing my gf up for this course. She wants to get into riding and I admittedly am not the best teacher. Anybody know how basic the basic course is? Should she already know how to start and stop and shift before going to this course?

Whichever bike you choose, don't take the course on something that has a high gear ratio in the first 3 gears.

I took mine on a 550 Nighthawk. When the guy told me to accelerate up to 3rd gear and stop with my front tire between the lines, I told him that I'd be doing 50 mph by that time.

He looked right at me and said "I don't care, that's not my problem".mad

So off I went managing to keep it under 45. I stopped with the tire on the second line and managed to pass the course on a bike that I wasn't familiar with. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make sure I had some time on the bike.

I know if you take the class at a HD dealership (Riders Edge) you take the test on the little Buels. I was teaching those classed for a couple of years. Even though I really enjoyed it. I just didnt have the time anymore. If you sign up for the Riders Edge classed you have class room time also. Its a 2 week class. Very informational

I would agree, take the class. You will need to have passed the written test beforehand. It is a very educational class, they teach you more then the rules, offer some common sense and things to watch for. I am glad I took the class, and plan on taking the advanced class as a refresher.

Just took my Riders Edge at Fairbault HD last year. It is an awsome class, it was 3 day(Frid, Sat and Sun.) First day was all classroom and the last 2 were both class and riding!!! I would very much recommend.

I took the class myself a couple years ago. I recommend it to everyone that rides a motorcycle. I mainly took it because my brother in law was taking it and he didn't want to go by himself so we both signed up. He wasn't very experienced and I've been riding since I was 10 or 12.

the Class is geared for someone who has never even sat on a motorcycle before..and in our class of 12 we had 3 people who had never been on one before.

I thought I was going to be bored...I was surprised! I learned a lot and they helped me work out some of my bad habits. One year later my wife took the class and unfortunately passed with flying colors... I got one point taken off my test and she aced it...now I get to hear all the time that she did better than me...LOL.

This class is worth taking without a doubt.

I took the MSF course too for my license. Glad I did. The braking and swerving practice probably saved me from hitting a deer on one of my very first rides.

BTW, classes are rain or shine...

To the OP, I seriously doubt anyone will rent you a motorcycle without a license and some experience.

EDIT: Oops...sort of a stale thread.

I took the class too. I was a fairly experienced rider when I did. That being said, I learned tons of new stuff and corrected a ton of bad habits.

I took the class with a guy that had an endorsement for 30+ years, and 100,000+ miles of experience. He just wanted to learn more, and went into it with an open mind. He signed up for the advanced rider class after that. He said that you can never be too safe on a bike, and you never stop learning if you have the right attitude. I guess that always stuck with me coming from such an experienced guy who took the class too.