• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

finicky 'eyes

youngie22

had them on the screen all night but only managed 3 small. I would jig and some times let it sit. when ones that did hit it seemed like lure was moving slightly. I could tell on flasher that if jigged alittle more agressivly the fish would scatter. It was rather frustrating, couldn;t find the right presentation to entice. I hope they decide to turn on again before the season is over. not sure what to try tomorrow.

had them on the screen all night but only managed 3 small. I would jig and some times let it sit. when ones that did hit it seemed like lure was moving slightly. I could tell on flasher that if jigged alittle more agressivly the fish would scatter. It was rather frustrating, couldn;t find the right presentation to entice. I hope they decide to turn on again before the season is over. not sure what to try tomorrow.

Were you using vertical or horizontal presentations?

well guys, I think they just turned off. I saw most get caught on a jiggin rap. I caught zero on that. caught 2 w/ red eye dropper and one on a fathead and tungsten jig under a bobber. tried swedish pimples, and plain red hook also. I hope they turn back on again before season end. didn't make it yeasterday, but I'll try to get there this afternoon. thanx for the help guys. keep it coming, I think I'll bring some waxies not sure what else to try.

I agree with jimmy. Go small. On a recent outing, my dad was using a buckshot and I a forage minnow. I was able to coax quite a few more biters than him. Eventually he changed to a forage minnow and he began catching more.

Deadsticking would be similar to bobber fishing, minus the bobber. Usually I use something very small and light, you watch your rod tip, line, and flasher and use them both to tell when you have a bite.

Try some of these things out for finiky walleyes:

Switch to "panfish" tactics, use very small jigs and wax worms, eurolarva, minnow tails, or plastics; the "After dinner mint theory"

Downsize to a smaller jig of the same type, I would recommend a 1/32 Forage Minnow spoon, tipped with a minnow head. When walleyes get finicky the first thing I do is ditch the jigs that rattle, even a change from a Buckshot spoon to a Forage Minnow spoon can make all the differnce. I stick to a few proven colors as I don't think it is a huge differnce maker for walleyes, these would be red, green, and any metalic (gold or silver)

Another trick I have used for finicky walleyes is to switch it up to a small Swedish pimple, but I will use either a snap or put another split ring on the top eye. This gives the jig 2 points to pivot on, when snaped up it will tip to the side and shoot outwards on the fall. Small jigging raps or Chubby Darters can also work in this situation, but I prefer to use a 'Pimple

As far as jigging motion goes, I will usually jig fairly aggressivly until a fish shows up on the screen. The last thing you want to do is stop jigging completly as that is what got the fishes attention in the first place, but I will slow down and only twitch the jig, moving it less than an inch upwards. If the fish will raise up to the jig but then sits there and won't hit, sometimes very slowly but steadily raising this jig up a few feet will get the fish to chase the jig and hit it thinking that an easy meal is escaping. If that doesn't work, I will drop the jig to the bottom and pound it on the bottom a few times, then let it sit partially on the bottom, but take up some of the weight, so it is sitting at an angle.

Sometimes it just takes moving to find some active fish, but this should give you a few things to try!