• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. Croix River GTG, Sat, Feb 28th

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I'll be out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning at least. email me and I'll give you my cell#.

I did see you guys out there Sunday morning, didn't know it was you. Never thought you had come back.

Shawn, looks like a sauger, probably could have kept it.

I'll be out there tomorrow and the weakend I'll look for your guys's vehicles and stop by.

Hovermn with this warm coming up I expect the ice by the power plant to get thinner and the open water to expand so I wouldnt get to close to it with the wheel house. I dont think I would go near it with a vehicle. Just heard 40s this weak and maybe rain.

There is some verry good structure all along the Wisconsin side you can hit. With this stretch of weather there going to bite I can feel it. I think we can get a few close to DonBo's if not a bunch of fat 12's

It was nice to meet everyone and share some info and eat some good food! I had some action right way when we set up, then nothing so I went looking up north at some spots. Upon my return sausageman spills the beans to me on his hot spot just in time for me to punch a couple of holes and catch the one slab he left down there grin . He sure had it figured out with those eurolarve. Not sure how the crappies found that spec of a presentation in all that water laugh I returned to my spot down south on Sunday for a bit and gave that approach a try. Well, modified a little since I didn't have spikes. I used a single Gulp! waxie threaded onto a size 14 Diamond Jig. Funny thing is that it turned out to be a walleye magnet!?!? 3 eyes over 15" ha! who woulda thunk? I think at next years GTG sausageman should give a seminar before we head out.

Nice slab there DonBo!

Nice to meet all of you last weekend! Thanks again Don! Hover, that is one fine slab of a fish! Our house caught 2 of them though, I'm not sure they were as large as your monster. We got a 4" sauger as well so it was definitely the hotspot. Thanks for sharing the secret spot DonBo. So secret the fish couldn't even find it. Ha! JK. Hopefully, with all of the ruckus our little army created, the fish will come check it out and see what a great spot it really is! I'm going to try to get out Sat also so maybe I'll see you guys down there. Tight lines everyone! - Paul

I finally got my computer back up and running. Thank goodness.

Don

Thanks for organizing the great get together last weekend. I enjoy going out on the ice and visiting with friends. Thanks to last weekends GTG, there is a new group of people that I can stop and visit with and compare fishing notes.

Nice pig of a crappie you caught there on Sunday. I'm glad you didn't give up on the small jig and maggots when I talked to you. The minnow is still the staple for river fishing, but as you found out, you can add a few more fish to the "fish pile" by tipping a small jig.

In the last two weeks I caught walleye,sauger,catfish,sheephead,white bass, bluegill, perch, mooneye, and one or two crappie on that jig/maggot combo.

Thanks again, and it was nice finally putting "forum names" and faces together. It was a pleasure. Sausageman

sausageman, I looked all over for ya before I left the river Sunday. You musta been hiding in the middle of shantytown huh?

Your trick realy worked good there for a bit. Those crappies were coming way up off the bottom to grab those bugs. Was the most agressive I've seen them all season.

DonBo

I was most likely buzzing around trying to locate some stacked fish away from the crowds.

It's weird how the fish on the ST Croix turn on and off on different presentations. Last Sunday, I was fishing with a buddy and I picked up two crappies on the minnow set line, then I picked up about 8 or so on the maggots. Then nothing. Lockjaw.

I rigged my other St Croix rod with a Red 5mm Fiskas tipped with Little Atom plastics and bang, the crappies started pounding them again. The crappies hit the plastic so hard, I had to use my pliers on two of them to remove the hook from the gullet. Then nothing. Those river crappies have me scratching my head. SM