• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9th Annual Trout Day

Jim W

Once again it's time to remind. May 2nd will be the 9th Trout Day.

I have spin fishing and fly-fishing stream seminars covered. However, if you are skilled in any of the aforementioned and would like to volunteer at this years event please contact me here.

More event details and information to come.

Hope to see more new faces this year!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Yes Forestville State Park. Held at the main shelter. I see your from Ely. That would be a first. I was hoping Frank from Twig would make another appearance.

For those making a longer drive there is camping in the park and in near campgrounds. Also a hotel in Spring Valley (10 minute drive)is available.

For those volunteering or helping with the day, I have some room out back for tents and a smart fire.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Dbro,

From past (Trout Days) experiences, folks come from all walks of life and levels of fishing prowess.

I could use a fly tying station, casting station, help on the water etc. I have Bob returning to give a seminar on fly-fishing.

Send Steve an e-mail where we can decide on the best fit for you.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim, I wish I could make it down this year for Trout Days. Actually I'll be down that way for the Turkey C season and returning back home on April 29th.

Jim and crew put on a very good seminar and while your down there you'll get to hit some very good trout water. Its well worth the trip.

Just wanted to give everyone a update.

Once again we will have a both a spin fishing seminar and fly fishing seminar.

Once the seminars are over everyone will be offered a chance to fish with a Trout Day volunteer.

Steve Klots from the MNDNR will be doing a electro fishing demistration and giving a update one the current condition of SE Minnesota streams.

Once again there will be free door prizes handed out at the end of the day. As in other years, we have some great door prizes to give away.

Less than a month.

Here is where things are at a glance.

Welcome and registration 8:00-8:30

Rolls (from the best bakery in SE MN Spring Valley Bakery) and hot coffee.

Meet and greet other fishing and out doors folks.

8:30-9:00AM

Spin fishing small streams and rivers

"The exploration"

Fly-fishing seminar

10:00 AM......hit the streams

For those who aren't experienced on the streams...a chance to hit the water with a Trout Day volunteer.

1:00pm

Meet on Canfield Creek for this years DNR led electrofishing demonstration with Steve Klotz.

A chance to see more trout, get the goods on the stream conditions, with the current status of the SE MN fishery.

Following demo, please return to pavillion for door prize drawings.

Looking forward to another Spring Event on the South Branch!

I'm a little excited to announce we will be having a hot dog roast. It is and will be a group effort, but no need this year to bring a sack lunch.

This is a first for Trout Day.

Hopefully we get a major soaking this weekend. Streams are low. Fish are willing though!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Did I mention it is all FREE? what? Free rolls and hot coffee in the AM, FREE seminars, FREE Guest speaker, FREE DNR demonstrations, FREE lunch and FREE door prizes just for showing up?

Yup!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

A HUGE thanks from me Jim. Also thanks to the other organizers (Renneberg & others), and thanks to the volunteers (Klotz, melmer, others). Also thank you sponsors (especially Culvers-Rochester) for all the donations. What a success this year was.

Lots of little shavers running around this year each with an ear to ear smile when they won a prize (we’re not talking small prizes either). Great to see that.

The electro-fishing demonstration was top notch and unbelievably educating. So neat to see ~30lbs of trout come out of a 20yd average stretch of stream.

The hot-dogs really hit the spot too.

Once again Jim, Thank You. I have a lot of respect for all the work, time, and dollars you put into this event (with nothing in return except smiles and helping people enjoy the outdoors). Such a selfless act of dignity and outdoorsmanship.

Here are some pics from the event.

Here's Bob doing his seminar on fly fishing.

TD13.jpg

Here's Jim doing his on stream spin seminar

TD02.jpg

Here Steve Klotz doing his class. For those of you that missed him speak missed a great class.

TD01.jpg

Time to go fishing!

TD04.jpg

TD05.jpg

Here's pics from the shocking.

TD06.jpg

TD07.jpg

TD08.jpg

TD10.jpg

TD09.jpg

Lookin Good! I remember my first Lanesboro DNR Fisheries crew demonstration at the Whitewater some years ago...absolutely stunning to see the number of trout per foot of stream that had just been combed over by the whole assembled fishing group. Countershading really hides them buggers!