• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone want to help me spend money?

mozy

I've really gotten into fishing over the last year and I'm adding to my rod arsenal. It seems to me that there are more technique specific rods with bass fishing. I have an opportunity to pick out any 3 St. Croix rods I want for cheap. I'm wanting opinions on what I should get to help broaden the techniques I could cover. My current rods are:

7' MF Clarus Spinning- Tubes and grubs

6'6" MHF Fenwick HMG- All around rod, jigs, rigging, spinnerbaits...?

7' MHMF Loomis CBR- Larger cranks, topwater, ???

I like fishing walleye as much as I do bass, so I'm wondering about getting rods that can pull double duty. I was thinking...

6'9" MLXF Legend Tournament- Drop shotting and shakey head, lighter walley jigging

6'8" MXF Avid- Senkos and jigging for walleyes

I think I want those two, but don't know what to do for a 3rd rod. I was thinking about picking up a Mojo, maybe a 7' HF for frogs? Any other opinions? I'm new at this and want to spend my money wisely.

Or how about a crankbait rod?.. That would pull double duty well. You may want to bump up to a 7' rod on a dropshot rod, it would double well as a lindy rig rod. I know I use my dropshot rod for lindy rigging quite a bit while walleye fishing. Could be a good Slip bobber rod as well. the added length will help in all applications.

I would get yourself a 7' mhf spinning rod and a 7' mhf casting rod. THese will both handle a wide variety of baits/applications. Like Dietz said, the added length will be an advantage. For me, the mxf blanks are not that great for crankbaits. I prefer a more moderate action for treble hook lures.

The Loomis CBR845 should cover most of my crankbait needs from 1/4 to 1 oz., so I'm hoping that one of my other rods will handle the shallow and lightweight cranks.

Cecil, any reason why you like the XF for cranks? Seems to me that most people prefer moderate or mod. fast actions for this application.

I just picked up a mojo frog and slop rod with a quantum TE1160PT. I havnt been able to try it out yet on the water but have casted a few in the yard and like it so far. As far as other rods I really like all my avids and the gloomis i use for cranks.

Like I said, I use it for shallow cranks like a 1 minus or CB1. They are a medium extra fast which has a soft but fast tip. Typically fishing short water and making shorter casts. Has a good hookset and great tip for working baits and casting accurately. I do use a moderate action for cranks deeper than a few feet. Unless you have picked up this rod, its really hard to explain, but the tip is magical. Great topwater and jerkbait rod as well.

I finally made the change to bass fishing and one big word of advice is do not throw spinnerbaits with a spinning rod....if you look in the water and watch a long cast it will sometimes make the whole bait rotate due to the line twisting (yes, even with highend "anti-twist" reels).

Look a the 7" tube rod as can pull duty as dropshot if need it (improvement over the clarus)

Look at the 7' M F casting rod "teaser rod" it is great all around rod

Also what technique do you really enjoy - this is a factor as you may want to consider another MH F 7-7'2" for spinnerbaits or small swimbaits.