• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found a couple arrowheads and what looks like some sort of a scraping/skinning tool while beach combing the metro with the kids..haven't really been able to find much info about the Minnetonka area tribes but they were a cool find...

1st of all, thanks, Dark, for posting this pic. Back in the mid 70's my bro in law showed this to me. After we were transfered to So Dakota from Texas the wife went down to visit with her family and he ended up giving it to her to give to me because he wanted it to stay in the family and knew I wouldn't sell it off and just wanted it to stay in the family. He found it in his woods begind his house where he was diggin up an area to make a native stone BBQ I just kinda held on to it then one day I took it to our archaelogical research center. The director was REALLY interested in it and did some evaluations on it and came up with a finding that it is refered to as a "corner notched knife", Late archiac (2000-500 BC) or "Middle Woodland" (500BC -400 AD)with emphasis on the "archiac". The wife sent a pic to the Smithsonian but, they wanted us to send it to them, we declined. Anyway,the years passsed, he died and subsecquently his wife died. I've now got it in a custom made frame display box with a glass front and green felt background. We've given some thought of putting it on loan to a local museum for fear that something could happen to it. I would be interested to know the value of it but don't think I'd ever part with it unless the feds would come knocking someday. They are really touchy on stuff like this ever since the T-Rex "Sue" was found in SoDak. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share this story.

wow, That's a neat, neat looking pipe. Ya know, like with my artifact I often wonder who may have fabricated such relics, what thier life was like and how they used them and how they came to rest where they were found and what intervention caused us to find them. Kinda makes me feel spooky sometime. GREAT FIND!!!

I have thought the same thing too. With all the history that the Fort Snelling area has, it would be interesting to know who's it was and from what period of time it came from. It goes to show that there is still stuff out there to find.

By the way, nice spear head! Kinda wonder what they were hunting with that one. Some big game for sure.

I took a student rock hounding once about 3,000 feet below the summit of Pikes Peak. We were digging for minerals near a large quartz outcropping. We were trying to find a pegmatite that may intersect with the quartz outcrop. While we were digging, he wonders over the the quartz outcrop and sits down to mess around. He looks down and there lies the best arrowhead I have ever seen. Chipped out the same quartz he was sitting on. Amazing! Some indian had sat up there and chipped that arrowhead as he scanned the area around Colorado Springs with Pikes Peak in the background. Just an amazing place to sit. You always wonder if they dropped the arrowhead and was not happy with how it turned out. All I know is that it was beautiful and perfect in every way!

I have sooooo many rockhounding stories and artifact stories from my days in CO. I miss that area!

my dad and i have been rock/artifact hunting our entire lives here and BOY have we found some amazing things!!!! most recent was a Clovis point as well as a knife blade from the Clovis era as well. It sure lights a fire and makes you want to keep searching when you find something that's roughly 9,000 years old!