• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lights dim when using winch

krats

When I am plowing and I use the winch my headlight dims.

Do I have something wired wrong?

I did splice into a wire that was only hot when the key is turned on. This was recommended in the directions for the winch.

I cannot remember what that wire was for, I would have to look at the wiring diagram again, but I am pretty sure it was not the head light.

Anybody have any ideas for me on how to fix this?

Thanks.

The current draw from your battery when you operate your winch is exceeding the output capacity of your ATV's charging system. As a resulting voltage drop is causing your lights to dim. Winches are typically mounted on ATVs with the idea they won't be used very often and that's perfectly fine however, when we start to use our winches for other things like controlling a blade, we are using them more than they were inteded for. The charging system on the ATV was never intended to be capable of supplying power for all the accessories we add on. It is designed to maintain the starting battery and operate a couple lights and that's about it.

Every time your lights dim, you are drawing power from the battery. If you don't provide ample time between these excessive draws, your battery will not be fully recharged when you shut down your vehicle. A battery doesn't like to be left with only a partial charge, particularly in cold weather. Immediately after using your ATV for plowing I would highly recommend putting a charger on your battery to make sure it is returned to a fully charged state. Not doing so will result in the loss of battery life already mentioned.

The best solution is to upgrade your charging system to something that is more suited to the task you demand from it.

Bob

I honestly don't know if an upgrade is available.

What I mean is that you need a charging system that can deliver the energy you require. The addition of the winch being used to raise your plow puts a lot of additional demand on your ATV's electrical system. I don't know what they use in an ATV for maintainng the batteries so I'll relate it to a car.

If you added a lot of extra electrical equipment to your car you could have the same problem. The solution would be to replace your alternator with a higher amp rated unit that could supply the power you need.

Bob