• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Fillet Knives

Seabass77

Question

I was thinking of asking for an electric fillet knife for Christmas but don’t know which one to ask for.

I’ve seen cordless electrics but don’t know how good the batteries are, how long they hold a charge? Is it best to go with the tried and true?

Which brands are good, which brands should my wife avoid?

Any other tips or things to look for?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

10 answers to this question

I have a American Angler with a cord.
It works great, I like it for walleyes and pike, bigger fish. I do not use it on panfish, too big and clumsy.
Mister Twister also makes a good unit, but I think the American Angler switch is better quality. I have used both.

The cordless models are also nice, but the batteries don't last for ever. You will need to replace them as they wear out.

Good Luck,
Skeets

I lived in Tx. for a couple years and guided there for trout and redfish. I had always used a regular fillet knive. I noticed at the cleaning table all the other guides were using electric fillet knives, and I thought they were kind of weinie for using the electric ones. Well after a couple of days of watching them fillet 40 trout in 10 to 15 mins. and seeing myself take about 30 to do the same work I was a beleiver. I went out and bought an electric one and they are the only way to go if you have a bunch of fish to clean. I still use a regular fillet knive if I just have a couple to do, because then it is just as fast, and water and 110 volts still makes me nervous. The only brand I have used is the Mister Twister and it has been a good unit. I can't say how good any of the other brands are but I would think they are of comparable quality.

I have owned the Mister Twister and the American Angler. I prefer the American Angler because it is more ergonomic in your hand. I prefer the straight blades on the Mister Twister for cleaning pan fish because they seem to follow the back bone without cutting through it. The blades for the Mister Twister fit the American Angler, so I have used both blades for a good comparison.

Someone once said that the only dumb question is the one not asked so here it goes….what is the difference between the 110 volt and 12 volt? I would like to be able to use it at home or hook it up to a 12 volt. All your help is appreciated.

Joe

Joe, 110V is AC - alternating current and 12V is a DC system, what most vehicles use and marine systems.

Now if you wanted to use both, my suggestion would be to buy an AC (110V) version and then buy an inverter, which you can plug into any standard cigeratte lighter, or make or buy a wiring harness that you can connect to any marine battery and then invert the DC to AC and plug your knife in.

I would really consider trying to find a unit that is more like a cell phone. Find one that you can plug into either an AC outlet or DC outlet with the correct cable and then disconnect it when you want to be mobile. This would really suit your needs well, I think. Not sure if these are availble, but they may be.

I now have a Mister Twister electric knife, just before I got this one I had bought an American Angler, the new one with all metal transmission cost $70. My son and I went fishing for the weekendand on the 2nd day I was claening some crappie and the American Angler quit working. First thing Monday it went back to Cabelas, they didn't ask any questions just mailed me a check! I did explain what was wrong with it though. So far I am happy with the Mister Twister knife.

My mom gave me her old elec. knife, really only used to cut bread and turkey,ham,etc. she had it since I was way small. so I tryed it out on some crappies, talk about the cats meow, im sure a point on the tip of the knives would be a plus at times, but works like a charm!

your foolin yourself if you dont use your elec. knife for panfish, even the small sunnies your kids want you to keep are a breeze

I also use the Mister Twister for all the fish I clean. Once you start using the electric it is just soooooo much easier! I do wish they made them with a shorter blade for the smaller fish, but I would still prefer them over the filet knife. Besides I don't have to sharpen it, or spend a bunch of time finding something to sharpen it with.

------------------
Phyl

I remember a woman setting up shop at the fish cleaning facility in Kenosha, Wis., at the Lake Michigan small boat harbor. She would clean trout and salmon, but her long suit was cleaning big buckets of lake perch.

I was amazed to see how fast she could fillet and skin lake perch with an electric knife.

I keep so few fish that standard knives work fine for me, but offered this only as an observation. If I were to regularly clean panfish I'd definitely have an electric.

I too have a mister twister. Recieved it from my mother in law a few Christmas's ago. The best gift that one could get. I use this on all types of fish. Works wonderful. It saves time tremedously. Only went through two blades so far. How we clean them is to cut throught the rib bone and then debone the ribs. Seems to work better than trying to fillet around the ribs right away. KOOBA