• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tips on replaceing tires

Gordie

just got my new tires and was wondering if you guys have any tip for putting them on the rims or should I just take it to a tire shop and let those guys do it. Trying to save a buck but if it means a big head ache its not worth it.

It could turn out to be more of a task than it's worth. I usually opt to take them to a tire shop and let them do it.

They have the equipment, can have it done in 15 minutes (if they work at it), and you're back in action without any pinched fingers or busted knuckles.

It's usually been around $20 for 4 tires. Worth the money IMO.

I still do them at home but not the hard way. I can/have done them plenty of times without "equipment" in probably less time than it takes to drive somewhere and wait. But, I have a tire machine at home to make it a bit easier. My advice if you haven't done them before is to avoid the frustration and have it done. Its too easy to cut a bead and ruin a new tire if you are not careful or don't have the right tools.

Getting the new ones on is a piece of cake. Getting the old ones off is another story.

I have a slide hammer designed to break beads on tractor tires and I have been unable to break the bead on ATV tires. The rims have a ridge placed just behind the bead that makes it a real challenge. I finally took mine in to the local service station and he even struggled to break the bead.

Bob