Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Dog ate M&Ms

15 posts in this topic

I just wasn't quick enough last night when two M&Ms got dropped last night. She swooped in and grabbed them and I couldn't fish them out of the abyss.

Anyways, she got the foretold loose stools, like I have never seen in my life. She's 55 pounds and she ate exactly 2. I know she'll be fine but I'm just wondering when things will subsist. She wouldn't touch her dinner tonight, but we'll try that again before bed. Otherwise she's active and moving around.

I know, I know, chocolate and dogs. I guess I have to be more careful and not have butterfingers...mmmm, butterfingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real danger is xanthines. M&M's don't contain that much. Bakers chocolate has quite a bit more. Your dog shouldn't be affected by 2 M&M's, my friends dog scarfed down a king sized bag and was fine. Sounds like something else. Sometimes dogs just aren't hungry. My Husky will skip meals off and on. Don't sweat it.

Google - chocolate and dogs, and read up!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bwtrout is right. 2 M&M's shouldn't be a big deal and not sure if that would cause the issue you are seeing...maybe it could? It would take a decent amount of m&m' to harm the dog. I know the breeder I got my first dog from actually fed snickers to his dog while in the field. If your dog got into something like bakers chocolate I would be much more concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me preface this by saying I have a Beagle with a stomach of steel, but he literally will eat anything I think.

Anyways the other day I came home from work and found an empty pan on the kitchen floor. A pan that when I left for work was an entire HSO pan of Special K bars. Yes, covered in chocolate.

Well, the thing is that it's not the first time frown

He puked a few times, had a stomach like Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" but other than that he has no issues with it.

So here is the technical jargon that will really help you:

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,

Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.

Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.

Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate

1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Special K bars!....awww man those are the best. I would have been exceptionally [PoorWordUsage]'d.

My wife does a cookie exchange every Christmas and last year our lab ate all 8 dozen cookies. Not all of them had chocolate, but a lot of them did. Like posted above, other than throwing up a few times later that night, he was fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t happy that’s for sure.

Using that formula, a 55lb dog could handle 55oz of M&M’s without getting a Toxic shock, but only about 6oz of Bakers chocolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many m&m's in 55oz? I don't think 2 is anything to worry about. We made cookies the other night with m&m's and I'd have 2 and I'd give the dog 1, me 3, him another 1... this lasted for quite awhile! grin

Scott - what's your pup look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 ounces is not quite 3.5 pounds, that's a lot of M&M's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A darn good waste of trail mix if ya ask me. Thats all I use , peanut M& M's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was growing up my Aunt and Uncle had a yellow lab that ate 5lbs of wedding cake one time, another time he ate a 6lb rump roast and 2 sticks of butter.

Yes he got very sick on both occasions but its really funny stuff now at family gatherings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week I had 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts in marinade on the kitchen counter. Let one dog outside to do her business and came back about 2 minutes later and my 8 month old Pudelpointer had eaten all 4 breasts and licked all of the marinade out of the dish!!!.

she literally showed no signs or ill effects from the incident! Talk about a steel stomach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing what they can eat sometimes. In Merle's Door, the book I'm currently reading, Merle ate 12 lbs of dogchow in one sitting! A freshly opened 40# bag got left out by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12lbs of dogchow? That's impressive! My dog ate a whole bag of Mint M&Ms last Christmas...definitely made her mouth smell better! grin She also ate half a stick of rat poison that my dad had forgot he put out when we were over to visit. 1 oz of hyrogen peroxide down the throat and 5 secs later we had all the poison back. Nice little trick to know in case of an emergency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DTRO has it right. A dog has to eat a heck of a lot of chocolate that is high in Thoebromine in order to be in real danger. Your dog has something else going on.

And he'd better stay away from MY M&M's..... grin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what's your pup look like?

bailwaitingvl0.jpg

She's a little bigger now. She was dropping solid sausages again this morning and late last night before bed. 2 M's was enough to get her going for 1/2 a day yesterday. She's fine. I know she didn't get into anything else, maybe she was more sensitive to it or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Posts

    • Bummer. Battling a cough/cold here and the snooze alarm won this morning.  Hopefully I'll get out later this week.
    •   I use them and they seem to work fine. I guess with the poppin version I don't really walk them, I just work them in the holes and around other Bassy looking cover. I don't work them real fast. My guess is you would probably want to use the standard style for walking them.   Cret what versions did you test for walking, the standard styles or the poppin versions? 
    • Looked them up.   Personally they seem underpowered but it will depend on how much water you need to remove when you finally need that pump. The water powered pumps performance is based on water pressure. If you have 60+ psi then you can get 500-900 gpm and it looks like you will use 1 gallon of tap water for every 2 you pump out of the pit. For comparison I generally use 3/4 horse pumps at a minimum for the pumps which gives you something north of 3000 gph.   I'm not real sure if code and insurance even allow them so check first. If you have a small house and if the sump doesn't get used much it might be an option.
    • Just returned home last night. Had 3 Jake's come in at 7am on my 1st morning and decided to pass on them. Never saw or heard a Tom the next 5 days. Oh well maybe I learned a lesson. Good luck to all.  
    • Never saw a water driven pump. The ones I use and know if are the battery backup kind. They are sold at all if the big box stores and are around $300 I believe. They run off of an automotive type battery that has a trickle charger attached to it to maintain the charge. You have as much backup power as your battery has capacity and then that pump is dead as well so it's a short term solution.having a generator is very helpful as part of the backup plan.
    • I missed one last night.   Shot a 3D archery shoot yesterday and did really well.  From there straight to my blind for an evening hunt.  Big tom came in to 32 yards. I ranged him, dialed in my sight and slid one just passed him. That's as far as I've ever shot with my bow but was feeling pretty confident after shooting all day. Oh well.   Sitting in another spot right now and as of 6:30 have not yet heard a peep.  Can't sit long today, dang work always getting in the way of my fun.
    • I have been meaning to try to stick a yote too whenever I was out I hoped one would show up instead of a turkey.
    • should have set up in the grass! Uncle went back for evening set up at a pinch point hen and tom came through to go back to roost but no shot!
    • Beside the fun of fooling a turkey and sticking it witj my bow,this is why I love turkey hunting. Slow smoked with apple on the pellet smoker. 
    • Does anyone have a water driven backup sump pump? They look like the cats meow if you live in town. Or does code even allow them? If they are not allowed what is the best battery backup ones?
  • Our Sponsors