• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leasing hunting land

Big Dave2

Does anyone lease hunting land from a private land owner or farmer? I know that some may lease from Potlatch but it seems that they don't have many parcels available anymore.

If you do lease land, how much do you pay a year and how did you come across someone willing to lease their land? Did you answer an ad or just knock on doors?

I've leased land by simply putting an ad in a local newspaper, in the area you are looking to hunt. The land I've leased has been cheap, under 500 bucks for deer,turkey, grouse the entire season on 200 acres of decent ground. I think that's cheap because it doesn't even cover property taxes. Establish a good relationship with a landowner and you can lock up pretty good hunting without forking out a bunch to own. The first property I leased was a 40, for 50 bucks, can't beat that either, I just wanted a little more land. Good luck.

Mike

Where are you looking to lease land? Closer to the metro is going to be more expensive, southeast is all going to be expensive also. I hunt in west-central MN, there are a lot of people who "let" people hunt there land that are surprised hunters are willing to pay them just to hunt the property. Local newspapers are the best bet, many older people, the ones that own land, do not use the internet but get the local paper every week.

Mike