• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Straight pipes

Have duals with a glasspack in it, but I decided I'm going to go straight with my pipes this weekend. I have a 99' halfton Silverado.

Anyone else go straight with their pipes on a Silverado? Though loud, I hear it has a nice tone..

Do what you want, but keep in mind that nothing you put on will outlast the original equipment exhaust, and it will cause drivibility concerns. Your particular model has an O2 sensor before and after the converter. Removing the cat will cause the check engine light to come on because pre and post O2 readings will not be correct. This will in turn cause a change in the fuel mixture resulting in several other issues. All in all it wont be worth the extra noise, and you will more than likely lose mileage.

Not to mention it is against federal law to remove a catalytic converter, and selling it becomes an issue too.

I used to like the sound of glass packs, but I don't like to listen to them all the time. I was a little more inclined to have glass packs etc in my youth, but some where along the line I out grew that phase.

I had done the same thing to mine in my younger years cause I didn't want to buy glasspacks again and it took me less than 2 weeks to get pulled over. Funny thing was I had my new mufflers in the back seat because it was way too loud for me. Sounded nice but I didn't need that kind of attention.

I would reccomend a set of truck nuts and a "No Fear" sticker to go with the pipes. They all serve the same pupose.

Should have figured I was asking this question at the wrong HSOforum..

I didn't come here for wit, but as long as I'm receiving it, how's the '89 Park Avenue running for ya Grandpa?

Originally Posted By: 52luge
I would reccomend a set of truck nuts and a "No Fear" sticker to go with the pipes. They all serve the same pupose.

Should have figured I was asking this question at the wrong HSOforum..

I didn't come here for wit, but as long as I'm receiving it, how's the '89 Park Avenue running for ya Grandpa?

You wanted opinions and you got them. Take it for what its worth and do whatever you want.

dont get me wrong straights sounds sweet. but like that guy said before they screw with ur O2 sensor not to mention you dont have any back pressure going to the motor so u will acually be loosing power. if u put two high flow cats and a X pipe it will be really loud when u rap on it but when the cops drive by u can take it easy and not get a ticket.

Well...mine's a 94 and a LeSabre, but it runs great and is nice and quiet. wink

BTW, I put aftermarket single 3" on my K-1500 and it added a nice, low/mellow rumbly tone not much louder than stock.

Why do you want such a loud exhaust anyway? Seems all it really does is draw attention and that's the least thing I want when I'm out beatin' around.