• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about lcd tv's

gofishingtom

Question

Have a buddy that want to put LCD tv in his ice house but asked if he could leave tv in house while it was parked in his driveway and if it would effect the tv..he talked to best buy and they had no clue..I told him that i wouldnt leave it in there when not in use and freezing out...but he was wondering if there would be damage done to it??

7 answers to this question

I have a under cabinet lcd tv in my house. Had out in the house all winter last year with no problems. When it was really cold it took a while to warm up before the screen would turn on. As soon as it warmed up it was fine.

I would think it will be fine. I also used to think this way about various things. But, in this part of the world things are alwasy being delivered by truck and not many are climate controlled, so I am sure they see cold temps.

I would let it warm up to room temp before using, and you should be good to go.

I would let it warm up to room temp before using, and you should be good to go.

Yep. When the fish house begins to warm up condensation will form on the TV pretty heavy. Let it get up to temperature and dry out before turning it on. This could cause corrosion issues down the road if this is repeated often, so that is also something to consider.

I think it has a lot to do with the moisture inside of the fish house when it cools down after you leave....at least it did in my house. A byproduct of burning propane is moisture and is probably the difference between the air inside of a car and a fish house. That would be my guess. My TV would frost right up after I got out to the fish house and fired up the furnace. It'd then thaw leaving quite a bit of moisture on the outside and most likely inside of it. I didn't leave it in the house very often anyway.

Another point is leaving anything in your house whether on the lake or in the driveway is just asking someone to break in to steal it. I wouldn't leave it in the house when not in use regardless, just not worth the risk any more...too many people who think they can just take anything.