• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blaze Orange Question

DooWap

Some of my buddies are taking up muzzleloader hunting this year and we all plan on going out for it. I, however, am just going to bow hunt. For muzzleloader season you're required to wear blaze orange. I was wondering if it would be OK to wear blaze out to your stand but take it off and just hang it next to you in the stand and wear camo. My reasoning behind this is that with the blaze it will outline you better and make it easier for he deer to pick up your movement. With the blaze hanging next to me it should still make me visible to hunters but not so much deer.

I've thought about that,Having it near but not on.Then I think about the guy who shot his kid turkey hunting,the accidents of people getting shot while wearing their orange,How many firearms hunters are out there and what percentage are careless,shoot movement,dont know the background>>>>>>I wear mine and yet feel uncomfortable thinkin about how many careless hunters are out there!!!

Here it is.

Deer Season: Also, you may not hunt or trap during any

open season where deer may be taken by firearms (including

special hunts, early antlerless, youth seasons, and muzzleloader)

under applicable laws and ordinances unless the visible portion

of your cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding

sleeves

and gloves, is blaze orange.

Froggy

If you're worried about the deer seeing the outline of an orange blob than hanging your blaze coat next to you isn't going to help you any. If the deer does notice the blob it won't matter if you're wearing it or not.

I have yet to shoot a deer outside of 30yds because of the woods I hunt. I bowhunt too and I've never had a deer pick me out just because I was wearing blaze.

It is in the regs so its a non-issue, but I think you should trust that you will be fine. I would be more worried about wind direction and your own movements. Those are the things that will give you away.

DooWap, if it helps your confidence any, I deer hunt with a pistol during the firearms season and all of the deer I've taken have been 10 yards or less, with the exception of two. One was 17 yards away, I didn't want him to get any closer, and the one I got this year was walking past my stand at 30 yards. Last year I had a skinny 8-point buck come right to me on the ground looking for a fight after I'd grunted. If I had a long stick, I could've poked it in the eye. I believe if you don't MOVE and you don't STINK, the deer doesn't care what color you're wearing.