• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yet another lucky buck.

PerchJrkr

Im still kickin myself. I had this guy at about 18 yards tonight. He came out of the corn at about 100 yards. Gave him an estrous bleat and he looked right over at my doe decoy and came on a string. Hung up at about 45 yards and stood there for awhile contemplating.. decided to get a closer look, came up in the open field and i had some trees to draw back behind and he came out at about 18 yards. I was at full draw, leveling my pin. 2 seconds from droppin the hammer when he bolted. I wanted to cry. Ive been hunting this guy all season, first encounter in the field besides some trail cam pics. I think he got nervous because the ol' doe never moved a muscle... Im still just in awe..

OUTBACKCAM030.jpg

ohh ya- this is the best pic i have and it does him no justice. Hes either a 12 or a 13 pointer from what i could tell. you can see 6 on the right side with the split brow tine, but he has at least one more point on that side that kinda curves in. I keep replaying it in my head...i may or may not go crazy

The way i read it you can party hunt with any weapons. As long as both people are out together and are all using the same weapons. Gun or bow.

And i probably wont even wind up getting another deer. I have a management tag that i plan on using for a doe, but who knows.. slug hunting is upon us and its gonna get tougher as of Saturday. This definately wasnt my plan for the year, but what the heck? I guess ive been given an opportunity here so why not use it.

heres the deal on party hunting, copied straight from the regs

PARTY HUNTING

• A “party” is defined as any group of two or more licensed deer hunters

who are all afield; hunting together at the same time; and all

using firearms (including muzzleloaders) or all using archery.

• A mixed group of firearms and archery hunters is considered two

separate parties.

• Crossbow hunters may not party hunt with firearms or archery

hunters.

I think im gonna call the taxidermist and see about getting glass eyes put in that decoy. i guess ive heard that it can make a big difference in realism. I suppose if a guy were to rig something to make an ear move or the tail wave, it would be considered a motorized decoy and would be illegal in Minnesota??

That sounds exactly like what happened to me, I worked a big guy for almost 20 minutes, was fully drawn and ready, and then nothing, he hung up just short. Would have been dead with a firearm at about 6 different times, but oh well, he might live throught the week, he didn't get that big for nothing.

I'm not certain on this but I was under the impression that motorized decoys were NOT allowed. Items like the 'tail-wagger' would fall under that category. I usually just put a strip of tp behind each ear and one on the tail. They'll move with the slightest breeze. Could be enough to bring him in. If you've got the means, go for the glass eyes as well. You can never have enough realism in your decoys.

So can anyone answer the question on the motorized deal? Would that be illegal to somehow jerry rig an ear or the tail to move a little on some sort of a timer??

I don't believe you can use any motorized parts. You could use a real deer tail and pin it to the decoy. It's supposed to be windy the next bunch of days, that tail will be moving with the wind. If it's moving more than you want it to, pin it further down.