• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question on the cold weather

sheephead24

Now that the weather is cooling down, when do the Walleyes usually quit biting in the fall? It is going to be 30-40 degrees all week, will it be worth it to fish from shore in the evening, and how long does the fall bite usually last?

It last until after ice up I think. Thats why people are always trying to get on the ice as early as possible. Fishing int he fall is great until ice up. Just have to take care of the boat. goodluck. I would look for shore spots with some current or where alot of minnows, worms and crawlers are.

Not sure about the other guys but my experience on the Rainy all the way out to 4 mile bay on LOW is that the fall bite only turns into about a month of phenominal ice fishing. I'll fish the 4 mile bay/gap/pine island area at least till the end of December into January with some of the best fishing all year. Even during the course of the whole winter, you can pick up nice fish there in the evenings. It's better in the fall and spring of course but there's always fish there. I will follow the fish from the river to the gap, then out to the main lake to deeper water until it's safe to get to N.W. Angle and Islands then it's reef fishing till the fish head back for the river in the spring. It's exactly the opposite of targeting the fish from spring to summer through fall.

SheepHead, you have to remember the air temp is fluctuating much more than water temp now. The fish enviroment is much more stable, and will remain more stable (after turn over that is) until the mid of winter when the temps are consistently fridgid. The trick that has always perplexed me is finding them in the late fall, but when you do the schools are sizeable and they do not seem to be finicky over presentation. If they are finicky try dragging a jig/minnow around .4mph.

Burbot

SheepHead, you have to remember the air temp is fluctuating much more than water temp now. The fish enviroment is much more stable, and will remain more stable (after turn over that is) until the mid of winter when the temps are consistently fridgid. The trick that has always perplexed me is finding them in the late fall, but when you do the schools are sizeable and they do not seem to be finicky over presentation. If they are finicky try dragging a jig/minnow around .4mph.

Burbot

I love this time of year!!! Bite's Hot!!! Lack of pressure, either fairweather fishermen have retired their long rods or everyone else's hunting. It's a good chance to get out and find them. That way you'll know where to start at 1st ice.

I'm fishing Little Bay de Noc until ice out, then start right back up as soon as there is stable ice. For the most part, the bite goes well for me all the way up to Febuary when I stop fishing up there until the end of summer. The perk of fishing here this time of the year is all the Big Mammas are biting, and they are very hungary.

I find they keep biting very well. I do mostly shorefishing this time of year and you want to keep in mind they will come in very shallow. I look for a shoreline with the wind blowing into it. Try to get there before dark a look for minnow along the shoreline. If i see minnow i use a jig under a bobber if not I will try casting rap's making sure to keep the lure in the water right up to shore.