• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grouse durring the deer season.

Sparcebag--I agree 100% on the need to control your dogs. Thats a real problem--specialy on the North Shore--and there is a big difference between Public and private property.

Just for your info--I was drafted out of Olivia in 1969--served honorably with the 5th Div (Mech) and immigrated to Canada in Feb of 72.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My work limits the grouse hunting I do usually until the first deer weekend. While I never go out opening weekend, I will go out next week and weekend. I only have so much time as well. I respect deer hunters, I have rifle hunted in the past and probably will again soon, but I think it is all about respect of each other. If I see a truck, I don't go there...if I see a guy in a tree, I try and back away as quietly as I can. Shooting someone's dog gets you a one way ticket to the land below in my book, no matter what its chasing, other than your kids. Maybe I have too much faith in my fellow hunters that they would understand I'm just pursuing my passion just like they are.

Two years ago, I was hunting public land on the Friday before Deer Opener. I was on a road about a mile in when I came up on some guys off the trail camping with an RV.

One of the guys approached me and asked politely if I could keep from hunting the area so not to spook the deer. I agreed to do it.

On the way out I wished I would have asked him to not hunt the last day so I could hunt non-spooked birds in that area on the following Monday.

Surprises me that you would be so kind Joel... wink

You want to meet up tomorrow for some birding? I may stick around here if I don't head to Ely or the cabin...

If you're hunting with me, don't expect that I'd agree to such a ludacris request however!

I hunt in SW minnesota, and one of my conscerns with changing to the nine day season was how it will effect the pheasant hunters.

My biggest conscern was that all the hunters could hunt the WMA's all nine days. In the past, roughly half the hunters could hunt each weekend and the weekdays were freed up for bird hunters. Now the WMA will be pounded by hunters from both old seasons.

Pheasant hunters usually hit a WMA and move on leaving it to be hunted for the next guy. Deer hunters do a lot of drives in my area, but the ones that sit, sit all day, and monopolize the WMA.

On the flip side, if I were sitting on stand midday on a WMA(especially on an exit trail) I would like nothing better than a group of pheasant hunters to push the cattails with dogs.

We have rules against hunting deer with dogs, but it is legal and ethical in many other countries. Where is the line hear? Surely it would be legal to shoot a dear pushed to you by pheasant hunters you didn't know where coming, but what about the grey areas? One family member is on stand and a cousin shows up at the other end of the farm with his pheasant buddies. When does it cross the line?

Anyway, I plan to hunt deer in the morning on private land and pheasant hunt in the afternoon on public land, just as I have for the last ten years. I have yet to run into a conflict with deer hunters and I have hunted past many.

I hope this record of no conflict lasts with the added pressure on WMA's this year.

Have a safe hunt, Hans

Hi Matt,

You don't mess with a group off a beaten path with alcohol and high powered rifles. He was very polite too.

I would like to meet up with you and hunt a full day. Unfortunatly my 86 yr. old Dad asked me to help assemble some lean to stands.

Hopefully, time and weather permitting I can get out for a quick hunt.My dog is nine now so she has only about 3 hours a day of hard hunting left in her. My plan was to pick up a pup this Summer but taking this job in the metro put those plans on hold.

Both me the dog are on medication for lymes and anaplasmosis.

Sparcebag--I agree 100% on the need to control your dogs. Thats a real problem--specialy on the North Shore--and there is a big difference between Public and private property.

Just for your info--I was drafted out of Olivia in 1969--served honorably with the 5th Div (Mech) and immigrated to Canada in Feb of 72.

Knda a bad question sorry. There was someone from Canada a while back who said he moved to avoid draft and 1967 was right in the big draft era.

I stay out of the woods on opener weekend and carefully choose where I go after that. I normally wait until the third week to head out on weekends again. I have gone out the second weekend and the woods are thick with deer hunters. Most are respectful as long as you are. Some even have told me where they have seen birds while deer hunting, thus keeping me in the area they are hunting. It is good to share the woods, but also give people their space. If I was grouse hunting an area I would not want other grouse hunters crowding me and I'm sure deer hunters feel the same way. Everyone has the right to be out hunting, but a little respect goes a long way.

About 5 years ago, my mind went blank grin

The weekend after deer season ended I loaded up to grouse hunting, drove all the way up to the spot and pulled into the parking area only to find a guy in the drivers seat of a truck, dressed in blaze, with a rifle across high lamp and the barrel sticking out the window.

I forgot about the third weekend boys up north grin Turned right around and drove home.

I just suck it up and do not go grouse hunting during deer season. To risky for me and I do have some respect for the deer hunters, all though I like when guys are pushing deer for me.