Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JMo

T/C Omega

9 posts in this topic

Alright guys I just bought an Omega and was wondering what everyone is shooting for loads? I bought Triple 7 50/50 pellets and Powerbelt 245 grain aerotip bullets. I was wondering what the best combination would be, 2 or 3 pellets etc. I know I need to try different combinations but I'm just looking for some advice for where to start. Thanks for any help in advance.

I like to shoot two pellets because for open sights your not going to shoot much further than 100 yards, for me its about 50-75 yards, but three pellets is just too much anyways. Now if I was hunting during rifle season with a scope, I would use the maximum with a 250 grain bullet. Also if you want the most accuracy you have to use loose powder unless 2 or three pellets already are accurate.

2 pellets should work fine for you. When you start trying to push them to fast you actually decrease accuracy. Powerbelt bullets should be fine. Just shoot them and see how they work for you. Some guys have had issues with powerbelt bullets fragmenting if I remember correctly. I shoot the platinum one's that are like 270 grain or something like that with the aero tip. I also have some of the easier loading Hornady SST Sabots which shoot actually the same out of my gun. When I was done sighting in with the SST's this year I decided to check how the premium powerbets shot out of my gun. I can use either since they we're both right on.

I shoot loose triple seven but thats because the first state I muzzleloader hunted did not allow pelletized powder. They also didn't allow sabots which is why I have the experience with the powerbelt bullets. The powder had to be loose form to be legal in the state.

Ryan

I shoot 3- 50 gr pyrodex pellets with 250 gr SST's. and this combination works very well for me as I hunt reg. firearms season also. But if I were you I would start with 100 gr and move up if you feel you need to.

JMO, 2 pellets will work just fine. I have used Powerbelts for five years. I shoot an Encore .45cal and have had some problems with bullet fragmentation. The bullet has fragemented a few times for me and my hunting buddies. I am most likely going to shoot the Hornady SST's this year, because I have had such great success with that bullet slug hunting. I have never had a problem killing the deer with the powerbelts, but I don't like biting into lead personally. Powerbelts have knocked down over 200 deer for our group and many still use them so you will be just fine. We did donated a couple deer last year and they wouldn't take one of them because the bullet had exploded going through the shoulder and pieces were everywhere. That's my two cents.

I right now shoot 130 grain pellets (2*50's + 1*30) if 777. I intend however to drop the 30's out of the rotation and try 100 without the scope and 150 with a Nikon Omega scope and BDC reticle. I shoot the T/C shockwaves too. I don't like the powerbelts that well...

Shooting 150gr. Pyrodex pellets with a 250 grain Thompson Center "Shockwave" bullet. did plenty of research with this combo and professional shooter Larry Weisun recommends this combination as well. I have taken 14 deer with this set-up from 10 yards out to 200 being the furthest deer taken and never had to track one out of the field yet!!

I started with powerbelts and 2 APP pellets (sticks actually). Hated the groups with the sticks as they are different weights and heard so many bad things about powerbelts that I switched to Pinnacle fffg loose poweder, crushed rib sabots, and 250 grain XTP pistol bullets.

Better groups and much cheaper to shoot. Have yet to shoot a deer with this combo so I cant say how they will perform but the XTPs are a proven bullet.

The muzzlelader geeks say powerbelts work best at about 80 grains of powder. They don't fragement at lower speeds. Go slow.

i shoot 2 50 grains, and the reason for this is that you dont need to shot more then this. The more that you shoot, the less it will burn adn your wasting powered.

Im shooting 240 grain sabots for the slug!