• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to fishing, Advice please

Mike.May

When I was a kid I always used to go fishing with my grandpa. He passed away this last year, and in his memory I got all his old fishing gear. Im trying to get back into the sport, and even have a nice little 14 lone star aluminum boat and all the gear. Please offer some advice if you would for fishing this time of year. Is it better trolling now, or are the fish trying to stay warm and are thus up in the shallows in the hotter parts of the day (like the early afternoon). any advice would be helpful. Also, what is everyone using? spinner's? crankbaits? By the way, looking for Bass and Northerns. I'm not a total newbie, I was just always told where and how to fish, and it was a long time ago...

Hey Mike, welcome to Fishing Minnesota. I'm far from an expert, but you couldn't go too wrong right now by slowly trolling a good wobbling crankbait or something with flash just outside the weedline. That's for Northerns, as for Bass, I don't fish them and I consider Bass fishermen as a lower form of life.(giggle, giggle.) Really, I think pitching plugs into the holes in the weeds a possiblity.

It is hard to beat a wacky rigged worm most times of the year. Do yourself a favor and pick up a pack of Mr. Twister Comidas. Use a 1/0 Finesse Wide Gap hook from Gamakatsu and just put the hook right through the center of the worm, it looks wacky, hence the name. Has great action in the water and bass will tear it up. It works most times through out the year. Fall is also a great time to take it slow and fish with a bass jig. If you can locate some rocks near weeds, you should be able to find some fish right now. Blue/Black is always a favorite color for jig fisherman. Slow rolling a spinnerbait with a good sized Colorado blade will provoke some bites in the fall as well. A key for me in fall fishing for bass is slow, but big enough to warrant a bite. The fish are bulking up for winter right now so they will gladly eat a big bait. There are often times instances though where faster gets bit more than slow, and a shallow crank like a Rapala DT-3 or a Manns Baby 1- are awesome.

Good thing about fall, you can catch pike on most all of the same tactics as bass. Get out and have some fun, but be prepared for the weather, it is pretty cold out right now. Life jackets or a floatation suit in the fall are pretty much mandatory, cause it wouldn't take much time in the water right now to suffer from hypothermia.

Welcome to FishingMinnesota. If you look at the bottom of the page there are many forum. One for bass and northern if you keep looking. You will find quite a bit of advice in the bass forum for how to catch bass this time of the year.

A spinner bait cast near green shore weeds should be able to get you on a few fish this time of the year. OR as polar stated, a wackey rigged Comida can pull a few fish as well.

Good luck! and sorry to hear about your grandfather. My grandfather was one of my best fishing buddies too. I miss him a lot.

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

Although considered a hot weather tactic, I wacky worm for bass, all winter long with good success.

Never tried a wacky worm through the ice, may have to give that a try this year. Thanks for the tip.

Welcome to FIshing MN!! I thin kthis is a great time of year for you to get back into the sport. There is less "recreation" traffic and the fish are packing on the pounds for winter.

Stick baits, spinners and spoons are great this time of year. On weed edges, drop offs or anyhere that might hold panfish.

Looks like the bass guys have you pretty well set.

If you're looking for more time to fish, stick around here for a couple months when we start ice fishing. Its a whole new experience and many people here would love to teach you how to fish the hard water.

I have several of my grandpas old fishing lures that I keep in the box with me. He wasn't much of a fisherman, but some of the best times we shared were sitting by the lake as we drowned minnows.

Welcome again!

Mike, Welcome aboard. Since you live in Burnsville, You have several small lakes close by that can give you several hours of good fishing. I lived in B'ville for 5 yrs, always marion and crystal. Lots of bass and pike, Marion also has walleyes, so you can find some of those Gravel lizards. This time of year Crappies will also suspend, another option.

Any good spots on crystal or marion you know about? I don;t yet have a trolling motor, and probably won't til the beginning of next season, so I am thinking just along the weedlines casting and a slow retrieve with crankbaits and some spinners or spoons. Let me know if that sounds good guys, and keep the advice coming I love it smile

Mike, Welcome aboard. Since you live in Burnsville, You have several small lakes close by that can give you several hours of good fishing... always marion and crystal. Lots of bass and pike

I agree with jigginjim.. Marion and Crystal can kick out some fish.. At crystal i always have trouble fishing bass because the weed cover is always THICK, but ive had luck with pike. During the summer i catch them on a topwater spook in the morning, but for fall id use a spoon.

Bass at Marion are, in my opinion, better. Ive always had more luck there and have also seem some good pike.

Big spinnerbaits and buzzbaits work well too.