• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Could use some help please! (pic added)

A while ago I started a thread called "goin for a spin" with a photo of my kids on a merry-go-round. I was challenged to do something a little more creative so I have been working on that. I have a photo in my mind but could use some help in bringing it to fruition. Hence the call for help.

My photo would be of a person on a swing looking from the persons point of view. It would be looking through the eyes of the person and would include the hands on the ropes and the legs extended with a blurred background from swinging. Has this been done to death? If not, any ideas on holding the camera and firing it? I've tried wrapping the camera strap around my neck almost to the point of choking. grin I do have a remote that I could put in my teeth and operate that way.

Would this be a cool image? The thought is that it would be but I would like others' opinions.

thanks

Mike, in the above image I'd adopt a fairly slow shutter speed and try to rotate the camera in the same pattern the kids are spinning. It will take some trial and error, but once it's dialed in technique-wise, the right shutter speed and camera motion will yield motion-blurred background park bench and poles, as well as some blur in the edges of the kids, but the portions of the kids moving least will be sharp. Ideally, it's the kids' faces that need to be sharp while everything around them is motion blurred.

As an experiment, try a stop sign, and pick a slow shutter speed and then, as you trip the shutter, spin the camera clockwise and then counterclockwise quickly. Once it's all set, you'll get a sharp sign but everything else in the frame will show motion blur. That's because the sign is in the very center of the frame and doesn't produce the same degree of movement through the frame as you spin the camera as the rest of the scene does.

It's also important not to fill the frame with the sign if you want the sign sharp with this technique. A smaller sign will look sharper, for the reason already mentioned.

Give it a try. It's a lot of fun.

I've seen some really cool shots that were done with throwing a camera up in the air with a slow shutter speed. Some wow results that were a bit tough to figure out until it was explained.

Be careful if you try that one. crazy

I've got a shot planned that will put me in the back of a truck laying in the bed shooting a motorcycle at night with light sticks under the motorcycle. Any type of pan shots from runners to bikers, to cars. Night shot of car lights at night are done a lot, how about zooming at the same time?

If you are sticking with the merry go round how about figuring out how to get directly above the merry go round and shoot straight down at your kids looking up at you.

How about a camera on a lazy susan or turntable and tripping the shutter remotely or with the self timer. More ideas?

I would be concerned whether its been done or not. It will be a good experience and good practice. I would probably make some sort of mount, probably involving a monopod secured to your body. Then firing with a remote. I dunno, maybe something like that...

Holy [PoorWordUsage], you guys are creative. No wonder you do this for a living. Thanks for the ideas.

This is one that I did this summer. I really like it but I'd like to do something specifically for the assignment instead of sending something that I did before. Any critiques on this one.

100055728.jpg

Thanks again guys, you are really great.

I really love this shot Mike, the only thing that would stop me short on submitting it would be something should be sharp. In this case the face should at least be. Good execution but it looks like the water splashing up made the camera lose focus.

So you have a panning shot that is out of focus, at least that's how I interpret it, will the judges? I also count at least 9 dust bunnies in there as well. I know I am being picky but they will be as well. smile I hope this is the type of C&C you are looking for?

Mike, I'll somewhat echo Dan's perspective.

Whether the photograph succeeds or not depends to some degree on your intent. If you wanted a sort of riotous statement of nothing but motion and texture, then nothing really needs to be sharp, and I think this image succeeds. If you wanted a portrait of the boy as well, then I think it falls short. One simple change would have been for boy to have tilted his head sideways so he was directly facing the camera. I think that would have been the more successful image.

Dan and Steve, that's exactly the kind of c&c I'm looking for. You can't get better by getting all the nicey nicey stuff all the time. I think I got a good one this time. I'm not sure about the dark background but it was shady and I needed the shade for the slower ss. I like the browns in the background with the brown in his jacket. Does that work together?

Thanks again for your help.

f22 ISO 100 1/20

105011696.jpg

That's just right, Mike, IMO. I like that the boy is sharp enough but not tack sharp. The very slight blur on his face echoes the strong sense of overall motion.

As an entry in a contest I don't find it particularly original, but it is very well executed, and I don't know that originality is prized within the parameters of the contest or not.

For what it's worth, there's pretty much nothing that hasn't already been done, in my opinion, and the real thrust of the experience would be for you to stretch outside your comfort zone and experiment as a photographer.

As an entry in a contest I don't find it particularly original, but it is very well executed, and I don't know that originality is prized within the parameters of the contest or not.

For what it's worth, there's pretty much nothing that hasn't already been done, in my opinion, and the real thrust of the experience would be for you to stretch outside your comfort zone and experiment as a photographer.

Thanks Steve. It's not a contest but an assignment for my photography course. I just want to turn in the best that I can do. I definitely stretched and experimented with this one and learned lots along the way.

Thanks

I've always wanted to try using the zoom to keep a subject that is coming towards you or going away from you sharp. The camera has been around fro a long time, I think intent and execution will be more important than finding an original idea. There can't be too many ideas left and I would assume this is for a class that leans towards beginners.