Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redhooks

Best way to save a bird for mounting?

8 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to shoot decent grouse or two for mounting-I've heard to put them in a nylon sock and freeze but also heard that can be bad-what is teh best way to store/transporta bird? Should you try to wash blood off or leave that to taxidermist?

redhooks

With phesants I put them in a big black garbage bag on top of ice in a cooler. I have brought ND pheasants back to MN with no trouble and the taxidermist was very happy with them. I wouldn't try cleaning them up. (try not to let the dog get the birds you want mounted)

So you dont gut them?? What do you mean by "dont try cleaning them up". I too was thinking about getting a grouse stuffed.

So you dont gut them?? What do you mean by "dont try cleaning them up". I too was thinking about getting a grouse stuffed.

Put it in the bag the way you find it on the ground. Straighten the feathers up if you want. There is nothing to it.

Have a good taxidermist picked out before hand so you have some time to look around.

You can put them in a clear bread bag neatly and freeze them as soon as possible. Make sure you don't break any feathers and you should be good to go. They last a long time in the freezer before mounting. I had taxidermy way back in high school, talk about a smelly room!

Good Luck,

Ferny.

I wouldn't say a "long" time. Everything I see and read says no longer than 1 yr. I have seen birds mounted very well after 1.5-2 years in their however. I would just get it in ASAP to limit the chance of anything happening.

If you do plan to leave it in the freezer, make sure you wrap the head and neck in wet paper towel. They have VERY thin skin in those areas, so keeping them moist is key.

Also, if you're looking for a ruffie to mount, aim low... If there are BB's in the head and neck in numbers, it'll make it very hard to mount with great beauty and detail.