• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Weeds

SP180

My brother bought some and tried them. We felt the fish stayed around with them. Without, they seemed to move through. I would say the most important thing is you need to be in an area where he fish are anyway. Like said before, just becasue they were there, didn't mean they would bite.

I'ved used them and will again but like it has been mentioned they do take away from your mobility or ease of it when you use them but it is like putting out tipups.. it ties you down to a spot . That you can't get away from but I found they will hold fish longer if your in a fishy area . I wish they were better priced and I would add more to my set of 4 or 5 but I'll pound the holes to find the fish and use the flasher more often than not instead .They are just another tool in the arsenal and no they will not draw fish for miles around but if fish are already in the area they often will keep them there longer .

TD

Alot of good point brought up in this thread. I have them as well, they are always with me in my sled, but I bet I use them only one third of the time, because I like to move around a little. But as previously mentioned, if you are in a "fishy" area, they do seem to help keep the fish closer to your shack. I have sometimes wondered about a place like Red Lake, where you can be fishing literally miles away from any kind of structure, and you get schools of fish that always seem to move through the area, I wonder if you had them down there, if they would be a little more apt to hang around, which I believe would attract more fish.

One of the first times I used the Reels Weeds was up on Red Lake. It made a huge difference when the school came through. In fact, the area with the Reel Weeds held fish more consistantly on average too.

There are weeds present in Red Lake, maybe not in huge abundance in the areas we generally ice fish, but those slab crappies definitely relate to weeds. Offerring them a safe-haven in the forms of a series of Reel Weeds can sometimes be the ticket. Again, we're dealing with large groups of roaming fish and we want a chance to hook a few more before the school moves on...