• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Golden Breeders

Kyle

I am looking for a Golden Retriever breeder that has an actual history of hunting their dogs. Not field trial, but actual waterfowling and upland. Im also not looking to spend a fortune-I just dont think its neccessary. Anyone have any info? Ive done alot of looking on the internet, but havent found anyone that stood out.

I have a 5 month old that we got out of Richmond-so not to far from you. They own a hunting preserve and both parents hunt. They have great bloodlines and with the help of FMers i was able to research them a bit. He made his first retrieve this past weekend on a grouse-he actually brought it right to me(with his jaws clamped down like a gattor-need to work on that)but for a youngin i was happy! i just brought him out for the heck of it with my lab to get him some field time. He is a smart pup and she(breeder) starts them with birds and gets them use to the feathers.

I agree. I bought my British Lab from Rick McConico in Blooming Prairie (Old Oak Kennels), and I know he also has some of the best goldens in MN. He has exceptional blood lines. You will pay more, but will get a nice dog. PikeBayCommanche, did you get a dog from Rick ?

I would check out Ridgeway Kennel he is in Wisconsin.

He has good lines and price on puppies is very resonable.

Top Brass is going to have some of the better lines around but they are pretty big money for a pup.

If you want a great water dog look at ambertrail kennels she has Firside Push and I personally have a pup from him and can tell you he is a top notch dog with great water attitude plus good looking classic golden structure. There are lots of breeders that use Push for a stud dog so you should be able to find something.

By the way the better breed field trial lines are worth every penny in my opinion. I have had 4 from good field trial lines and have yet to get a bad one which was not the case with the first Golden I bought that both parents hunted.

Just my two cents

It really depends on the dog they are not all the same.

I would say in general yes they are a more intense dog which is also why they are almost always a better dog for hunting they have a much greater drive.

You need to spend more time on obedience with a field breed dog but they will pick up other things much faster.

Keep in mind these dogs are breed for trainability too.

In order to get a Field Trial title on a dog you have to have a dog that is very trainable because much of what is involved to get that title is more complex than a normal hunting situation.

Look at my litter from last year under Field Breed Goldens and talk to any of the owners that bought a pup and they will all tell you how wonderful the pup's are and how smart they are ect.

I have them in hunting homes and in homes as pets and everyone has been very pleased. The key is start training obedience right away because that is the most important thing.

Good luck with whatever you decide