Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N7709K

What bow to get

14 posts in this topic

I am going to upgrade from my bow I have now. I currently shoot a 06 Diamond Triumph in 50-60 pound draw. The brace height I think is 7 inches, but don't quote me on that. I will only have about $700-$800 to get a bare bow( I spent $300 on all the other stuff over the past two years). The two that I am looking at now are the Diamond Black Ice in 60-70 pound or the Hoyt Super Hawk also in 60-70 pound. The reason that I am not looking at other bows with fixed draw length is that I am 15. I was wondering if archers or hunters out there had any advise?

If you are really planning to spend that much, I would buy one of the better quality, new bows like a Mathews, Hoyt, PSE or Bowtech. On many bows you can have the draw length changed by replacing the cam. If you drop down to the next tier ($400 - $600) of bows, you have a LOT of good choices as well.

I have shot a pse and I don't like them too much other than that i have only shot the bows in my price range. I will be selling my triumph this weekend or next week to a friend who broke a limb on his bow. I might get a bow online as to save some money, but I also might get one at Mikes in St.Cloud.

Well I have committed my self to sell my triumph to my friend. i also want to get a bow that is higher poundage, longer brace height. As far as the $700 to $800 goes that is all I can get. I am only planing on spending $650 to $700( if I can find a good deal).

Thats cool - just for the point of asking why do you seek higher poundage? Longer brace is good, anything 7.5" and up is about as good as it gets.

A friend just bought the PSE Xforce, and that sucker shoots his arrows @ 296fps with only 60 pounds draw weight. Only problem for me would be the ultrashort 6" brace height, but he mitigates that with a string tamer.

I'm shooting a bowtech liberty (04), 65lbs. Super mellow draw on it, but not all that fast either (260fps) and a little heavy. Generous brace height. Good enough!

I kinda want to get the higher poundage because either this coming summer or next summer I want to take my bow with when I go to Alaska, and hunt black bears, and possibly caribou.

Can I come! grin

The Diamond line puts out some nice bows. You can't go wrong with a Marquis or Black Ice. The '09 models will be out shortly and you could probably get a pretty good deal on an '08 if you're willing to wait a few more weeks...

With proper placement and sharp blades, 60# will bring down any North American big game animal - don't worry about the draw weight.

If I were to buy a bow right now, it would probably be the new Bowtech Captain. 7" brace, Guardian-type riser, roller guard, and STS built into a 34" shooter. ( Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again, thnak you.)

I'll probably wait until spring to see what the feedback looks like, but to me it looks like the perfect bow. I currently shoot a 2000 Bowtech Mighty Mite, but after shooting a Guardian a few weeks ago I think it might be time to upgrade. At least go shoot one of the center pivot Bowtechs - pretty unreal!

Well I looked at the new diamonds on line today. I will have to check them out. I also will probably wait till the 09 models come out.

Since you are 15 get a bow with modules or some other simple system to change the draw length rather than one where you need to buy a new cam. You can grow with the bow and not have to spend a bunch of money buying new cams.

Take a look at the new Ross Cardiac. Bowtech just aquired them and they modified the old Cardiac a little and from what I hear the bow is very nice and smooth. That bow should be out soon at some of the bigger stores. You can look at it on the Bowtech HSOforum. The new Diamond has the same style adjustable cam. Not sure of the cost of either of these bows.

Well this might sound weird , but I got a hoyt pro-elite last night online(the price was right and I have been looking for a target bow).

N77- great shooting bow.. how about a few picts?.. I have an Ultra Elite, love that thing!!!!

My UE is the one on the left.

mygirls.jpg