• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a bow

Twins 57 Fan

If a guy, we shall name him "me", was looking at getting in to bow hunting what do I look for in a used bow?

I know how to calculate my draw length but what else am I looking for? I would like to start bow hunting whitetails next year.

What is a good draw weight to start at for a tall and skinny 6 footer?

Is a used bow ok to buy? what about dryfires and how can I tell?

Sights? Releases? Cases?

What is a good price range for a decent bow? I dont need anything spectacular but not a piece of garbage either.

any help is appreciated.

See if you can shoot the bow. The bow should feel smooth to you.

A good rule of thumb on draw weight would be to sit on a bench and attempt to draw the bow back slowly (like you were hunting a deer). My guess is you are probably looking for a 50-60 lb bow.

Check the limbs for cracks. Sights and releases are probably good but there is a ton to choose from there. I recommend a hard case to protect your bow better.

Price, is a tough one. My bow brand new was around $700 and I tacked on another $300 in accessories but I also used some of my old stuff.

I looked on another site and saw a pretty good used one (probably around a 1998 model but still a very good bow) with everything you need for $425. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

This past summer I bought a Bear "Truth" complete setup (bow, quiver, whisker bisquit, and signts) on [YouNeedAuthorization] for around $400-something. This was to closeout the Truth model since the Truth2 was taking its place. It's been a great setup for me. I was looking for a used setup to keep the cost down and I was finding quite a bit online. I was ready to pull the trigger until I found the new bow for that price.

Used bows are fine to buy if you inspect them well.. Look at the limb pockets and look for areas that look stressed or cracked.

As someone already stated, a bow that fits is more important than how much you paid for it. Grip and draw cycle should feel comfortable.

as for poundage. Dont go too crazy. There are a ton of guys out there in the 70's for weight. ANd hey if your huge, go for it. I shoot 57 lbs and can draw while sitting, and havnt moved for the last hour and shivering.