• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

draw weight for an 8 year old

Big Dave2

I am looking at used bows for my 8 yr old son. He is left handed and left eye dominant. That cuts down my options and I just can't afford to go to Cabin Fever(as much as I would like to) and spend that kind of money on something that he will just grow out of in time anyway.

I can figure out his draw length, but I have no Idea what a comfortable draw weight is for a kid this age? I see a few reasonably priced options on [YouNeedAuthorization] or HSOList from time to time but have been reluctant to pull the trigger because I don't want to buy something that he cannot shoot yet or that is below his age group.

Does anyone have a good idea of a range that would most likely be suitable for an 8 year old? I know each kid is probably different but there must be a range that is a rule of thumb for that age group?

Yup i agree. have him pull back a bow and if he seems to struggle even a little it might be a little to much(set to high) for him. when target shooting you dont want to struggle with drawing back, he will get tired and have sore arms quickly. happens to me when i target shoot too long cause i have my bow set a little higher for hunting, not constant target shooting.

If it was me, I would get a recurve. If you are just going to shoot targets those bows are great to get started with. The draw length is variable and you can get them with low poundage. My 5yo has one and he loves it. He has to shoot every day. 20-50$ and when he gets old enough, and you want to get him a compound he will be able to use it for a few years. Otherwise it will be just like buying shoes for them.

My son shoots a Brave with a little modification he is shooting about 22lbs But Bowtech makes a sweet little rig for the youngsters also it has like 10" of draw adjustment length and you can get it with limbs that go from 18-30lbs and then as he gets older you can buy new limbs for I believe 65 bucks or so. I know a guy has had one on [YouNeedAuthorization] for the last week and cant get rid of it I'm sure if you made him an offer he would probably bite on it.

Big Dave, I am in the same exact boat as you. I am looking for a bow for my 8 year old. He too is left handed. I am not about to go and spend $250-$300 on something he will grow out of soon. He has been wanted a bow for the last couple of years, but I have been really hesitant about getting him one due to his growing period from 6-10 years old. I think it is time to pull the trigger if I can find something at a reasonable price.

LAKEDOCKTOR, i have been thinking of just letting him shoot a recurve until he gets a little older. Have you ever thought about this option?

If nothing else I figure if I do end up shelling out the $ for the compound, I should be able to recoup at least some of it by re-selling when he grows out of it.

Look at the Parker Side Kick you can get it in 20-29#. 30-40#, 40-50# and also adjustable draw length from 18" to 28" with no press. I just bought the 40-50 for my wife. The bow is awesome came with a hostage rest and with alitte ajusting she was hitting target well at 20 yards within 25 to 30 shots.