Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dave2

draw weight for an 8 year old

10 posts in this topic

I am looking at used bows for my 8 yr old son. He is left handed and left eye dominant. That cuts down my options and I just can't afford to go to Cabin Fever(as much as I would like to) and spend that kind of money on something that he will just grow out of in time anyway.

I can figure out his draw length, but I have no Idea what a comfortable draw weight is for a kid this age? I see a few reasonably priced options on [YouNeedAuthorization] or HSOList from time to time but have been reluctant to pull the trigger because I don't want to buy something that he cannot shoot yet or that is below his age group.

Does anyone have a good idea of a range that would most likely be suitable for an 8 year old? I know each kid is probably different but there must be a range that is a rule of thumb for that age group?

You could go to any pro shop and have them help you figure that out. Then when looking for used you will know what to get.

Yup i agree. have him pull back a bow and if he seems to struggle even a little it might be a little to much(set to high) for him. when target shooting you dont want to struggle with drawing back, he will get tired and have sore arms quickly. happens to me when i target shoot too long cause i have my bow set a little higher for hunting, not constant target shooting.

If it was me, I would get a recurve. If you are just going to shoot targets those bows are great to get started with. The draw length is variable and you can get them with low poundage. My 5yo has one and he loves it. He has to shoot every day. 20-50$ and when he gets old enough, and you want to get him a compound he will be able to use it for a few years. Otherwise it will be just like buying shoes for them.

My son shoots a Brave with a little modification he is shooting about 22lbs But Bowtech makes a sweet little rig for the youngsters also it has like 10" of draw adjustment length and you can get it with limbs that go from 18-30lbs and then as he gets older you can buy new limbs for I believe 65 bucks or so. I know a guy has had one on [YouNeedAuthorization] for the last week and cant get rid of it I'm sure if you made him an offer he would probably bite on it.

As far as weight, it depends on the strength of your son. My 8yr old daughter can do about 15lbs on her Genesis bow and that doesn't have a let-off.

Being left-handed really puts a kid behind the 8-ball. Good luck

Big Dave, I am in the same exact boat as you. I am looking for a bow for my 8 year old. He too is left handed. I am not about to go and spend $250-$300 on something he will grow out of soon. He has been wanted a bow for the last couple of years, but I have been really hesitant about getting him one due to his growing period from 6-10 years old. I think it is time to pull the trigger if I can find something at a reasonable price.

LAKEDOCKTOR, i have been thinking of just letting him shoot a recurve until he gets a little older. Have you ever thought about this option?

If nothing else I figure if I do end up shelling out the $ for the compound, I should be able to recoup at least some of it by re-selling when he grows out of it.

Look at the Parker Side Kick you can get it in 20-29#. 30-40#, 40-50# and also adjustable draw length from 18" to 28" with no press. I just bought the 40-50 for my wife. The bow is awesome came with a hostage rest and with alitte ajusting she was hitting target well at 20 yards within 25 to 30 shots.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ya I don't know do I dare say I almost like it better than deer hunting... Cant sit with him tonight but came up with a game plan wouldn't be surprised if he sticks one tonight  
    • I am still hunting yet Moose. I go to Nebraska in a few weeks. I am archery in mn. starting to see more active birds. Going to wait and shoot a tom. Nice having 4 birds already on the team. How does a guy post pictures right from your cell phone to here so I can post Dillons info on his tom.
    • Went out today in the metro areas without any luck. Didn't even see any ramps in the usual spots, and I thought they were earlier than the morels. 
    • Day 4 Morning   I think we were both tired of trying to call birds across private fences, so we decided to try going for the distant gobbles I heard when I shot my bird.   There was actually a decent gravel road that went into this area and allowed us to have an easy walk into where I felt the birds should be.   We got in early to try to get there ahead of any other hunters, but it didn't seem to matter.   Forest roads were abundant, so walking was easy.  We went right to the spot I had a bird gobble from a few days prior, and waited.     It didn't take long for the flock to start making noise, and we only had to move a little ways to get close to them.   As usual the turkeys all came down and went away from us.  They set up shop on a long ridge and seemed content to just stay there.   We had no easy approach so set up our own position on the forest road we were on which was covered in tracks.   Other birds were gobbling in the distance the opposite way, and when one sounded close we chose to go for him.   Nothing came of that little walk other than the loss of a $65 custom call...  On the plus side we found a nice deer skull.     Back to the flock, one gobbler would respond to a crow call, so we knew they were still up on the hill.  We made a painfully slow walk straight at them since they were high enough up they hopefully wouldn't see us.  When we got to the timber they stopped responding, so we guessed they went over the top.  We worked our way up and found where they had been feeding.  Just shy of the top we set up to call just in case they were over the lip of the hill.     We received an immediate response to some lite hen yelps and clucks.  A hen with the gobbler was not at all pleased that we were there.  We got into a bit of a yelling match with her.  She was coming closer, dragging the gobbler with her.  When I heard drumming I motioned for my uncle to get the gun up since he was still calling.  In a few moments I saw a tail fan cresting the hill.  He angled left, looked around, went behind a tree.  I heard him go into strut and drum...   BANG!           
    • Day 3 Afternoon   We went for a short walk into the area I thought I heard the birds gobble in the distance when I shot my bird.  We couldn't find any birds and were nearly done with our walk when I glassed across a cow pasture and saw birds up in some trees!   I quickly checked the map and found that they were dangerously close to public land.   We made a dash for the car.   The walk in to this spot was pretty short and very close to houses and the farm that had the cows.   We ended up close to the fence and I felt the turkeys we saw should be just below us.   Some whitetail deer spooked and then turkeys started filing past along the fence.  I counted four or five hens, but no gobbler.  We stayed a bit and crow called thinking maybe a flock got busted up.  In the end we just backed out without spooking the hens off. 
    • North Metro Bass Academy Custom Tackle is having a 15% off sale this week 4/23-4/30 on all custom jigs orders.  We are also running 10% off all of our Tungsten Weights .... Flipping, Worm, and Drop Shot.  This will be our last sale before the season opens - so get in on it this week.  Tight Lines!  All of our products are on our web page North Metro Bass Academy   [/URL] [/URL] [/URL] [/URL] [/URL]
    • I agree.   I have said in the past, i learn to be a better hunter when they aren't easy.  Turkeys seem to become an obsession if you allow yourself to let them get in your blood! Love the chase.
    • ya but its fun! It was nice getting out i am learning alot watching them and being out there gets me more experience since i shot mine this year after being out a total of probably 6 hours for two days
    • Frustrating buggers aren't they!
  • Our Sponsors