• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod tips

Stay away form the contact cement. I use a product called furrel cement. It is basically a harder version of hot glue. I see no reason hot glue would not work. Give it a try, when it hardens see if the tip will pull off. If it pulls off pick up a furrel cement stick or the stuff used for glueing inserts into arrows...

I have heard of folks using 5 or 30 minute epoxy too, but I use the ferrel cement like Dark Cloud. You need to be sure you can get it back off in case of breakage and I don't know how much heat you need to loosen up the epoxy.

5 minute epoxy or Flexcoat tip-top adhesive (aka hot melt glue). The Flexcoat is very easy to use and very easy to reposition if you need too. I've been satisfied with it on the rods I've built. 5 minute epoxy will work too and sets harder but if you need to remove the tip-top you will need to apply much more heat than if you use the Flexcoat adhesive. A butane torch or heat gun will be needed and if you aren't careful you will damage the rod tip (smoking graphite isn't a good idea). Don't use epoxy with a pot life longer than 5 minutes. It will set so hard that you will not be able to remove the tip-top without damaging the rod blank.

High temp hot glue is the ticket. Lo temp glue can come loose on hot summer days resulting in It spinning or coming off all together. I use to use 20 min epoxy on Muskie rods for extra support and it worked well (use vary little) Heating the blank can cause delimitation, so be careful.

Quote:
BigFish1,

If the tip cracks, breaks, or the ring comes out you want to be able to replace it W/O cutting the rod shorter.

yeah, so basicly all you want to use is something that can be removed relitively easy? i use the hot glue i bought in a tip kit a few years back, haven't needed it but to change a few,and i was reading epoxy and whoknowswhat and just had to ask. i've always been happy with hot glue and this stuff in the kit. so your saying it's ok to use hot-melt because it will hold the tip just fine and epoxy isn't such a good idea in''most'' applications? is epoxy ever nessassary for a tip?

Use the hot glue. It comes in a stick. You just take a lighter to it. Wait until it starts to get soft. Put it on the rod tip, and install the rod tip. It's that easy.

I've never had a problem with this building rods @ Thorne Bros.