• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Model 70 vs. Model 700

Tankjd

I am looking at a new rifle .270 wsm in either the Winchester model 70 or Remington model 700. Is one better. I heard that the 700 may have problems with the trigger, and some guns fire when you take the safety off. What about tikka? Any suggestion?

I am looking at a new rifle .270 wsm in either the Winchester model 70 or Remington model 700. Is one better. I heard that the 700 may have problems with the trigger, and some guns fire when you take the safety off. What about tikka? Any suggestion?

After reading your quote about the model 700 firing upon removal of the safety, I did some online searching to find more info because I just purchased a model 700. All I could find was pending litigation that went know where back in 1992. And an explanation from Remington in 1993 stating that all the guns that they had been given the option to examine that were claiming misfires had the triggers modified from stock.

If you know any more please share. I don't want to cause a stirr but do want the truth if I have a lemon. The gun I purchased new this year does have the accu-trigger which is adjustable and I don't think was around back in the early 90's. I could be wrong so please feel free to comment.

Other than this new bit of eyebrow raising, I am 100% happy with my 700. Budget was a concern in my purchase so an A-bolt was out of the question, and with the deal I was getting on the 700 I couldn't find a better gun for the price. The only one that came close was the Savage 110 which I personally didn't care for. I really really like the trigger feel compared to my old gun and the accuracy is probably better than I can shoot. After sighting in, my last three shots could be covered with a quarter at 100. Never shot that good in my life with my other gun (model 7400 auto jammer with a terrible trigger!)

Ok ok, I've probably rambled on too long. Lets just say I'm happy with my purchase.

I have a model 700 .270, model 700 .260 and a .223. Never

had any issues with the trigger or the saftey. The .270 I have is a nice shooting

gun. I also have a Browning 300 wim mag. I like that gun

and it came with a boss muzzel break that really cuts recoil.

The .260 is 8 yrs old and the rest around 5 years old and

not single problem with them.

The model Rem 700 is the most popular and widely used big game bolt action rifle of all time. It's also the base for the military and many police sniper rifle platforms. I've had nothing but dependable service from mine in the past 20 years. That being said I wouldn't be shy about having a model 70 either. I'd say what ever feels comfortable and fits your budget.

Back a few years the Remington model 700 was subject to a recall. This was prompted by reports of the gun going off when the saftey was set to off. They made two mods, one replaced the trigger and the other modified the gun so the bolt could be opened without putting the safe in the fire position. I had/have several guns that were part of this recall. My brother in law also had one. Two of the four guns I had exibited this problem. Both actually fired when the saftey was set to fire. What I learned by expiermentation was that if you worked the bolt, never touched the trigger, the gun would NOT fire when the safe was set to fire. If on the the other hand, you worked the bolt, pulled on the trigger while the safety was on, and then set the safe to fire, the gun may well go off. Doing this "precondition" one gun would fire almost all the time, the other just occasionaly. Please note: This is my information only and not information from Remmington. I have not had a problem since the guns were reworked by the recall.

I've got two Win-Model 70's and have never had a single issue with either one. Bought my first one in the early 1980's and then one for the wife for deer hunting a few years back. Guess that's why I don't have any Model 700's. I'd suggest actaually going to a store and trying each one out and see what fits best to your shoulder and ease of the bolt. Both are a winning choice.

Pick what ever one fits YOU best! That is the best advice I have ever heard for purchasing a gun. As long as their are no known major problems with it. It is like the chevy, ford and dodge discusion.