• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you fertilize you clover food plots?? When and with what?

BLACKJACK

Just curious if you fertilize your clover food plots?? Is it worth the time and $$$$? My plots are looking pretty good right now but I know that by mid to late Oct the deer will have them mowed down, was wondering if fertilizer would help.

Your thoughts?

I fertilize my clover in spring and late summer but try to go with low to no nitrogen in the fertilizer (clover doesn't need nitrogen after it's established, then the nitrogrn will just be feeding the weeds). I usually get something like 5-14-23 from the local coop and usually put down 200-400 lbs per acre.

Great answer PerchJerker. I just watched a food plot dvd and they said the exact same thing. No nitrogen as that just feeds the weeds.Also try to keep your clover at a 8-10" heights unless the deer do it for ya! grin

There is proof that excess nutrients from fertilizers, namely phosphorous, contribute to algae growth or "green" lakes. However, with this said it all depends on the situation.

Just putting fertilizer down on the ground doesn't mean that it will automatically "pollute" our lakes/waters. I understand that not using any at all is a definate way of making sure there isn't any excess nutrient runoff, but what sort of cover is on the fields when it is applies? What soils are they? Is there a buffer that any runoff would have to go through before entering water? Things of this nature need to be considered before thinking that fertilizer will automatically cause pollution.

Sounds like you read more than have actual Knowledge of the use of fertilizer. Most is worked into the soil and run off if any is limited. Most all farmers including organic use fertilizer, might be manure but still is fertilizer. If none was used

food prices would be more than doubled what they are now, due

to poor yield. Its needed, maybe not on lawns, but for food and

feed purposes its greatly needed.