Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeeDee

question

8 posts in this topic

When you are out in a boat or canoe, do you use anything to protect your camera and equipment from water, RAIN etc. or do you just pray nothing happens to it.

I don't use any products that offer protection at this time DeeDee. Having said that, I do use a lot of caution and do whatever is necessary to protect my equipment. Next spring (maybe this fall) I plan to purchase a tube boat which I'll use mainly for photography. Once aagain I will excercise every oz. of precaution to protect my investment(s).

I use Pelican cases - and have brought my gear all the way by canoe up to Hudson Bay with no problems. I don't leave the camera sitting out on the floor of the canoe, so it takes a minute to get it out of the case and ready for a shot, but I can live with that. I have several Pelicans, but the one I use the most is the 1400. I keep my 17-40 on the camera, can put my 100-400 mm next to it and keep a couple of extra batteries and CF cards in it without problem.

When fishing, I just take my Panasonic P & S. Under the right conditions, I can still get some excellent photos with it. If I was to go out in a boat for the sole purpose of photography, I'd just make sure my boat wasn't cluttered with fishing tackle, and then not worry about it. Of course, I wouldn't go out in windy or rainy weather.

My Camera Bag is Weather Resistant. Made from Weather resistant material with water proof zippers. I doubt that I will ever attempt to prove it's weather proofing but I also have a small pelican that will hold the camera with my 17-85 on it. It is a really tight fit so nothing else can or will go in there but it is 100% water tight.

I do a lot of photography from my boat. I have no special equipment to protect it, though I do bring along an extra rain jacket to lay over the camera backpack when traveling through wind and waves.

If it's raining I use the same camo waterproof sleeve I use on land to cover whichever camera/lens combo I'm shooting at the moment.

I'm very careful, and every jot and tittle of my camera gear is insured. The only way I know of to completely protect camera gear (and hope it floats if you capsize) is the Pelican or other similar cases that Ken uses.

Thanks guys

I'll look em up. I get really nervous in the boat and pretty much hold it most of the time, to afraid to set it down.

I keep mine in a dry bag when in the boat and not in use.