• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frozen meat.

That's what I was always told as well.

But, they I started to think about people who bring their deer in to be processed. If they drop it off and get it back a couple months later it must have been frozen, thawed to be butchered, wrapped and frozen again before you pick it up.

Also, lately I've noticed that some of the chicken at the grocery store in the refridgerated case is in various states of frozeness and being left to thaw. I then buy it after its finally thawed or mostly thawed and then take it home only to freeze it again and I guess I've never noticed a difference.

guess maybe I am dumb or stupid or both, but I have taken hamburger out before, stuck it in the fridge, then for whatever reason, ain't gonna use it, throw it back in the freezer and use it at another time. Can't say i ever suffered any ill effects. Had parents/grandparents instill the ol' "don't waste anything" so I wasnt' going to just throw out a pound of beef. Don't know the answer to venison though

another option would be to re-seal it a little marinade before you throw it back in the freezer, I have done this and also just re-froze meat and it is fine, just have to add some moisture back to it is all

I believe it has a lot to do with how long it was thawed and under what conditions. Thawed out and left at room temp for a day then refrozen might encourage unwanted bacterial growth. Thawed in the refrigerator, kept cool, then refrozen should be better.

I think more of an issue with refreezing is the higher risk of freezer burn, which is really nothing more than meat that gets dehydrated and frozen.

I have thawed out meat many times for dinner, changed my mind, and then refroze it to use later.

Bob

Edit: I have thawed out meat many times and refrozen does not mean to say that I did it to the same cut of meat. I think you can get away with it once or twice but each time it's going to get more and more dried.

For making your own sausage and what not it tells you on the packaging to freeze your wild game for 60-90 days before you prepare the sausage to eliminate as much bacteria as possible. My buddy just made some brats a couple weeks ago and even after being froze, thawed, refroze, and thawed again and tossed on the grill. Still came out tasty.