• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what dog for Doves,Pheaseant and ducks/geese

USPENAMC

me and my dad plan on putting some money together to get us a hunting dog primarily for DOVE AND PHESEANT if it can go after ducks and geese even better anyone can give us any ideas? good temperament. Good family dog. anyone have any still available and pics please penasoccer at o o h a y

+1 Lab. They are not the best at upland... Not the best at waterfowl... but are very good at them all. The temperment of most labs is probably why many people have them over other breeds along with their versatility. My dog is two years old now. I am single and live by myself but he's very good with small children something I was worried about not raising him around kids. I'll play with him rough but its amazing how he knows that behavior extends only to those who want to play that way.

I would say Springer, because I have one and enjoy him - but they are a little nuts in the house. I guess they settle down after awhile, but I guess I won't know that, since he's going in the outside kennel after putting the hurt on my interior of the house...

A Large Munsterlander(see avatar). They are an awesome sport utility dog, bread bread just for the hunter who does everything from pheasant to grouse to duck Ive even heard of them hunting raccoons. They excel in the upland bird category.

Their also a great family dog. Gentle and eager to please. Though they do have energy to be spent but they are not hyper.

They are an incredibly intelligent dog also.

Did I mention beautiful also

I owned an American Water Spaniel and have hunted over them my whole life. They are great for multispecies duty, but don't shine at any one thing other than heart. They can take the heat better than the bigger breads for early season dove and pheasants and have a downy undercoat with thick guard hairs so they can take the cold-but don't get the burs or natty dread of a springer.

Great dog for a young guy who likes to cover some ground in a hurry and isn't set on winning any obediance trials. They are loyal and headstrong and training takes work. Out of the box few dogs have as much inbread hunt without training.

They are a great canoe dog and can be picked up by the scruff of the neck and set in the water to make a retrieve. After the retrieve take the bird from the dog and lift him back in the canoe-try that with a lab.

I wouldn't recomend one to a first time dog owner or to a household with a wife who likes to be in control but if I were a young guy in a small appartment just starting out-looking for one dog to do it all-the American Water Spanial would be it.

One more thing-They are all from hunting stock.Hans

im taking all dogs into account i guess its also that bond you get when you show up to a litter of puppies and one automatically likes you ha ha ha. It will WITH MY WIFE be all about which one is the PUUUURRTTTTIEST and CUTE

Look at field bred Cockers.

Small, agile, incredible hunters. Able to withstand duck hunting till at least halloween. I've seen 30 lb. Cockers retrieve geese and they are phenomenal in the grouse woods or pheasant fields. I've never dove hunted one, but they mark ducks well and should take easily to a dove blind.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a lab. Hes an excellent hunter for pheasants and upland birds, has good nose. Doesnt snap or bite at anything. Can get kind of rough when playing around, 90+ #. Very good demeanor. Have to get him lots of exercise to burn off the energy, helps me keep in shape too