• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting Camp Rules

bigbluepirahna

Tom7227 makes a very good point. How it is registered is very important. Think marriage/divorce/death. Wouldn't be much fun to have your brothers ex's new husband moving in on you. Or, just as bad a brother dies, wife gets remarried to a slug and he moves in. All the other rules are fine but you gotta have an exit stratagy or things can really blow up.

Wow KingFisher1 from Woodbury....Tough show you run there! smile

Rule #1 & #7 are pretty harsh, IMO! But too each their own.

It seems ruthless that your banned from deer camp for 2 years if you accidentally shoot 2 bucks, especially if one happened to be a button. Ouch!

I just thought Deer hunting was supposed to be a fun time.

the rules may be a little harsh to some, but at the same time, we have a great time at deer camp. We have great potential for bucks on our property, and want to keep it that way. Plus, you can (or at least I can) tell the difference of a doe fawn and a button buck up to about 175 yards. It just gets into knowing what you're shooting. If you're unsure if it's a button buck or yearling doe, pass on it, or let it get closer until you know what it is. If you pass, another doe or "unantlered" deer will be by your stand in the next few minutes. Not bragging, but there is usually anywhere between 15 and 30 deer in our 7 acre meadow at any given time. If you're unsure of male or female, just wait a few minutes. As far as rule 7, make your shot count. simple as that. If you mess up, we will help you recover, but make that first shot count. simple as that. Other than that, have fun, lets put venison on the meat hanger, and enjoy being in the field.

In a meadow! Haha, sounds like shooting cattle to me. LOL

We have a similar rule of no shooting fawns or young bucks. Has to be a doe or 6 point and up. I have passed up many deer waiting for the buck. Think I will have to take a nice doe this year. I hate the saying "it was a big spike, so I had to take it!" that doesn't even sound right and doesn't happen at our camp. A spike is still a fawn IMO.

I would rather shoot yearlings or doe's tough to eat those antlers and quite honestly for a true trophy, I admit, I don't put in the time so I shoot for the sport and to put venison in my belly....

are rules are: we are all grown men and responsible and that's it...works pretty well since we all respect where we are and why we are there

IF i had to hunt with that many rules, or with people that needed that many rules to get along, I would take up a new

hobby. Our group of friends and family has been hunting together for 15 yrs, have new poeple come along and never a single problem, no rules and no problems. And as far as deer

ownership, they are all shared and who cares who put the last

bullet it in. Lifes way to short to worry about things like

that.

I realize that thread has probably swerved off the main objective a little, but is still kind-of fun.

Our rules are pretty much unspoken rules but none the less can either be fun rules or important rules.

A couple of fun ones are bring enough beverages for yourself and some to share.

If you want to come in for breakfast... come in.. otherwise stay out hunting.

A few others that should be pretty obvious are:

If the generator is empty.. fill it up.

If you empty the T.P. roll... replace it.

Help the older guys with what ever needs to be done with their deer.

A rule that was given to me is bring cherry fritters from the Osseo bakery or I am not welcome into camp.

crazycrazy

"hooks"

Not to change the subject, (I like to read all the rules people have for their camps) but there was a study I read on the issue of shooting button bucks. Basically the study indicated 80% of all button bucks have moved 2-5 miles from their home range during their second year. Conversely, 80% of doe fawns remained within a short distance of where they were born. The end result was shooting button bucks has little effect on the number of mature bucks on a piece of property.

Thanks everyone for posting some of your camp rules. I know not all camps like to have guidelines in place, but for our family it works. We like to know what each other are doing and what's expected. We flow better with alittle structure I guess. Will help to eliminate any little squabbles that could ruin a year at camp.

It fun to see the little things others do, I like the rule about the shooter supplying the drinks for the day!

I think we'll start that tradition too! Get alitte captain in us.

I like the rules of a camp that I go to and they are hunting weekend you ante $20 for the stay and whatever common things are needed. You help with whatever needs help. The other rule is only immediate family for the first weekend of gun season then any guests have to be approved. I am lucky that they have let me be a guest for the last 2 years and hoping I came come back for a third!!!