• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great tip to landing more fish.

Christopher Quast

I went out fishing with a long term veteran 2 weeks ago and I kept missing my hooksets and he asked me if hooks were sharp and I said of course they were I just took the lure out of the package this morning and he said that doesn't always mean much.

So then I got curious and asked what he meant by that comment and he informed me that just about all hooks are laser sharp like they claim, but thats right before they dip them in a anti-rust coating and this coating makes them dull hence the reason you don't have a good hookup rate.

If you take a hook file and knock that coating off it will make a night and day difference and a good way to test if your hook is truly dull just place your hook tip or point down and try to slide it across your finger nail while the hook is perpendicular 90% to your nail and it should catch and not slide at all.

This has greatly improved my hookup rate and just thought I'd pass this great tip on to whoever could use and I'm sure there are people on here that already new this.

Try this and you will not regret it. Good Fishing

Having sharp hooks helps, but those old timers got skills. They know how much power to set the hook to make penetration so the barb will stick, yet not cause a rip or tear that the hook can fall out when a fish shakes its head.