• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Had to put down my dog today..

Kylersk

He wasnt a hunting dog (a Boxer) but he sure will be missed...

To make a long story short.. I picked him up about 2 and half years ago at the age of 7 months. 10 days ago we were packing up from our camping trip. My wife got our older dog (11 years) into the back of the truck and in his kennel but the younger one would go in. So, she asked for my help. So, like I do every time, I called his name and gave him a boost up to the back of the truck. When I went to move towards the Kennel, he turned around and bit me in the face. I had about a 2" cut on my cheek and a few other marks but otherwise I'm ok.

Since I have 3 other kids, I couldnt risk it happening to them... So we made the decision to put him down. We brought him into the Vet (who agreed with our decision) 10 days ago to have it done, but since he bit me, they couldnt do it for 10 days. I think it's a state law and deals with rabbies or something.

Even though I knew it had to be done, I still feel bad about having to do it.

Sorry to hear that-but you did what you needed to do. If you let it slide and it happened to one of the kids or the wife that would have been hard to imagine. I would have done the same thing in a heart beat!

Man, I feel for ya. That is a hard decision to make. I do not know what to say, but you did what you thought you needed to do and I pray that I do not have to make the same one some day. Prayers are with you, your family and your buddy that is gone. It is so sad to hear these stories.

Best wishes,

"hooks"

Once, many years ago, I had a female Shorhair. She was a great dog with awesome markings.

One day she was laying in the sun, on the porch, when I walked up to the house. I reached down and gave her a few strokes on her head and wham....she latched onto my arm. She had never shown any aggression before.

I went to the doctor and got some stitches. I kept her kenneled for 10-14 days and then the vet put her down.

I, desparately, did not want to get rid of her because she was a great hunter but I could not risk any of the kids safety.

You made a tough but courageous decision. My thoughts are with you and your family.

tweed

letting go of a dog is very tough, im sorry for your loss. when I was younger we had a dog that nipped at us once and we kept it around and it ended up almost killing me. Luckily my dad stopped the dog before it drug me under the deck. you made a good choice.