• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Couple of Firsts!

hanson

First #1

Took a good high school friend of mine out the other night for his first time ever flathead catfishing. He grew up fishing channel cats on the Red Lake River in Crookston, has a passion for fishing, but just hasn't had much opportunity to get out since moving to the Cities.

We've talked a bit over the last year about hooking up on the river and chasing flatheads, and it finally worked out the other night. Being that the water dropped 5' since my last time on the river, and the rumored spawn approaching, I was pretty cautious about predicting success.

We had to wait awhile to stick a hook into something as we struggled through the 1st Time Flathead Catter learning curve. Bunch of missed hooksets and dropped baits before Rod was able to solidly connect.

And here he is with a Smile Maker!

42" x 26-1/2" = 35 lb Flathead Cat

062508rod44x265flatheadwz0.jpg

Dang kid wouldn't shut up the rest of the night! grin

I won't tell you about the one that got away, we lost a piggie too. Thats one I'd like to have back. Doh!

First Time Flatheading + First Fish = 35 lb Personal Best!

First #2

The cat (errr... should I say muskie) is out of the bag on this trip already. Fellow FM Staff and Muskie Fishing Fanatic Chris "cjac" Haider and I teamed up the other night for his first flathead trip on the Minnesota River as well.

I was sure hoping the game plan would fall into place and it did, we had a great night of fishing boating 5 flatheads (14lbs, 19lbs, and 3 little tikes). We also missed plenty as well but that is part of the learning curve, as well as flathead fishing in general.

Cjac's 1st Flathead at 19lbs

062608chrishaider345x21bl4.jpg

First Time Flatheading + First Fish = 19 lb Personal Best!

Its really been a good week of fishing for me and some friends.

4 separate trips accounted for 4 personal best fish for my boat partners!

Started out with:

- Aanderud bagging a 47 pounder on Cat League night!

- Joel "Catfishunter" from Duluth boating a 31 pounder the following night.

- My HS buddy Rod getting his 1st & best 35 pounder!

- Cjac rounding it all off with a 19 lb the other night. We got room for improvement on that one man!

What a fun time! Out with a great guy/guide to show me the ropes! Yes, there is room for improvement but I'm still smilin'! What a great fish for my 1st time out!

Thanks again to Hanson for taking me out, the guy flat out knows his stuff!

I just changed my avatar pic to my flattie! One week later, within the hour of my first flattie, and I'm still excited! I'll likely regret saying this later..... but Hanson rocks!

Will y'all take me in if the muskie boys throw me out of that forum?