• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for windy

Scott K

Well I guess I could just ask you in here! I will be down in your area, (Joliet) for the nasar race in July with the whole family, wife, kids ages 9-14. I was looking for fun things to do in the area that wont break the bank. Any suggestions? I will be there from wed-sunday.

I thought maybe the Chicago Zoo? Whats your thoughts? Thanks!

Brookfield Zoo is about 20 mins W of downtown Chicago and is really nice - could be an all day trip and then it's not too expensive. It is closer to Joliet than Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo is by about 35 mins..

Ever been here? Bazillions of things to do. Do some online sightseeing and pick 2 or 3 things to do.

If you have never been to the top of a huge 'scraper, you got to take the Sears Tower tour that takes you up top to the lookout floor - great view depending on clouds. Or there are double-decker bus tours you can take.

A walk along Navy Pier and lunch there is nice, but u could run into some "shopping" which always seems to break the bank. I would suggest a boat tour of the skyline too.

Or there are several museums along the shoreline (Science & Industry, Natural History), the Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium.

All depends on your groups tastes.

As far as near Joliet goes, I can't help you.

I say you go to Wrigley if the Cubbies are in town.

I know Windy would never suggest that.

Brookfield Zoo will cost you but IMO it is a much better zoo than Lincoln Park which is free. If you are in Joliet, there is Heideke Lake which is near there in Morris and they do offer shore fishing, in case you are not toting your boat. A trip up the Sears Tower won't set you back too much and is pretty fun for kids (and adults) especially if you have never been in a skyscraper. Buckingham fountain and the lake shore is pretty cool and free and Navy Pier can kill a whole day with the kids. They have a few cool rides out on the lake and some neat shops to cruise. I am sure they have a HSOforum. You can always take in a ballgame??? Depending on which team is in town. LOL

Geno is right, I would go with Muesuem of Science and Industry for kids.

Shoot me any more questions and I am sure some other flatlanders will chime in. Have fun!

Windy

I am staying in Aurora, how far, and what would be the best route to take to the Brookfield Zoo, and or the Sears tower? The Brookfield Zoo was the zoo I was thinking about. Any other ideas you think about, please feel free to let me know!

Mapquest puts it at 33 miles / 45 mins from Aurora to Brookfield BUT depending on time of day and which day I know there is construction half way or so....double the estimate to 1 1/4 hrs and do not speed in the construction zones (45mph only).

It is just about a straight shot on I-88 from Aurora to downtown/Sears Tower.

Another idea (which Windy the poker player will concur) == leave the kids in the hotel and hit the Riverboat in Aurora.

Maybe you'll break their bank. Nyuk, nyuk.

I would do the Hanncock Building instead of the Sears Tower.

Instead of paying the fees to get to the observation deck you can just go to the restaurant on the top floor. You just get a drink or dessert or something small and its way cheaper then paying the per person fee for the whole family.

The views are just as good.

Is that topfloor restaurant still the super-ritzy "96th" (or 95th, I can't recall)? That was a cool place to take a date about 25 yrs ago.

===

I understand the diff in cost, but the Sears experience includes a short movie and an entire floor of historical [PoorWordUsage] too which might be interesting and worth the add'l cost. It's not really that much that it would break his bank I don't think.

No fish,

I am not sure what the fee is at the Sears Tower but the drinks at the 95th in the Hancock are outrageous! Plus the Sears Tower is taller. If you go to the restaurant you are not assured of getting a table by the windows and you can not move around to see all 4 views. From the Sears Tower you can see 4 states on a clear day.

Visitor information

How much do tickets to the Skydeck cost?*

Adult Skydeck Admission Only $ 12.95

Youth (ages 3-11) Admission Only $ 9.50

Children Under 3 FREE!

Adult Admission & Skylights Audio Tour $ 18.45

Youth Admission & Skylights Audio Tour $ 15.00

includes audio tour by Acoustiguide

* including city and county amusement tax

Looks like it might cost a few bucks but worth it on a clear day.

Windy

Here's the info on the Hancock Observatory

The Hancock Observatory will meet your loftiest expectations!

Experience spectacular views spanning up to 80 miles and 4 states. Explore our site to preview a favorite Chicago attraction!

Hours

The Hancock Observatory is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (last ticket sold at 10:45 p.m.) and is located at John Hancock Center, 875 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago.

Prices

INDIVIDUAL RATES

Adults (12-64) - $15*

Seniors (65+) - $13*

Children (4 to 11) - $9*

Children (under 4) FREE

* including city and county amusement tax

Individual Sky Tours are $4 with admission and "Tours for Two", shared audio tours (one Sky Tour - two headphones), are $5 with admission. Group admission and Sky Tours rates are available for parties of 20 or more.

For information call 1-888-875-VIEW (8439).

Located atop the John Hancock Center,

in the heart of Chicago's Magnificent Mile,

The Signature Room at the 95th offers

Contemporary American fare with sweeping views of the city.

The elegant wood designs and art-deco interior create an

inviting and intimate atmosphere for you and your guests.

The Signature Room features the finest in American cuisine

with entrees ranging from $29 to $44.

Not sure how many kids he is bringing but for a family of 4 its about $50 (depending on the age of the kids) to get to the top of the Sears Tower. I went to the resturant in the Hanncock 2 or 3 summers ago and 3 of us ordered some martinis and had some dessert and it was less then $50.

A round of sodas for everyone would for sure be less then $50. Its typical to see families up there ordering a very minimal amount of food or beverages. You can't walk around as much as you can at the observation deck but people do mingle around some to see the views.

Its just another option to consider if you don't want to pay $50 just for the view.

Actually here is the dessert menu from the lounge. I am sure the family would enjoy dessert with a view vs. just a view. If you take a family of 4 and everyone orders there own desert after tax and tip it would be about $40-45, cheaper then the $50 you would spend at Sears Tower for the view only.

Dessert Selections

Signature S'Mores

homemade marshmallow, honey grahams; chocolate fudge

$8.50

White and Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake

raspberry coulis; vanilla crème anglaise

$8.50

Classic Tiramisu

espresso sauce

$8.50

Old Fashioned Carrot Cake

caramel sauce

$8.50

Quote:
Signature S'Mores

homemade marshmallow, honey grahams; chocolate fudge

$8.50

$8.50 for a smores? maybe really big ones and the best you can find in the nation..but I'd rather make one over the fire, black 'n ready to eat! cool

Awright awready, enuff tryin to chintz on a day away.

(We all know we spend/waste lots more than $50 on our own fishing disease so treat the family once in awhile and we will get to keep fishing)

PS I still vote for top of Sears

That's right Geno,

Us FIB's go up to Minnesota year in and year out dumping thousands of dollars into their local community and here we are trying to save them a few bucks on a ride to the tallest building in the US! LOL

PS: Any predictions on this weekend? As if I could not guess!

Windy