• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Air-Jer: Help Security System

01 grand am problem again, always wondered if it was a Katrina car!!!! each once in a while, the security light blinks on this car and I have to wait about 10 min. with the key in the on position before the light goes off and it will start. I plan on bringing it in to the pontiac dealer next week. What can I expect them to do and how about the cost, it is nickel and diming me to death, (actually $10 0 here and $200 there)but I won't sell it the way it is. Would a less expensive shop be able to do the work also? I went to a grand am chat line once and this seems to have happened quite a bit, but no recall, thanks.

Does this car have an after market remote start? Is the battery bad, which it will drop below 10 volts while cranking? I would check to see what codes are in it, it may have a bad key, switch, or the bcm could be loosing its memory.

Been there done that a thousand times! To be honest with you the first time we reset them and tell the customer to bring it to GM if it happens again. I not really sure what they do to get them resolved. The key, The ignition tumbler, wiring, theft module, or PCM all play a role in whether or not your vehicle will start. Have you tried using a different key?

Its helpful to notice patterns when it acts up. Hot, cold, dry, raining. Did you lock and unlock the car with the FOB. Did you lock with the FOB and unlock with the key. Lock with the switch on the door unlocked with the FOB. You get the idea.

As Airjer said, try a different key first. Its not uncommon for the theft deterent keys to "wear out" from use and rubbing on other keys and such. (They have a tiny resistor built into them) Also if you have tilt wheel, the very small wires that go to the tumbler can eventually break from repeated flexing from adjusting the wheel. If it wont start, also try tilting the wheel to another position and try it again.

Another solution is to think it's dead and tow it to the repair shop. Then he'll test it, replace the fuel pump, the ignition key, tune it up, or call and say that you're nuts because it starts right up. I think the average was about $250 a time.

My daughter has a 99 and we've gone through this a bunch of times. Most recent was on a blizzardy day in Duluth. I spent $50 on tow straps only to have her finally read the manual and see about the 10 minute rule. After the time out the car started right away but I wasn't sure it would ever start again so I busted home w/o breakfast or a toilet break. Such fun.