• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old is the pole?

Jameson

Question

2589229028_8a377e22ef_o.jpg

1935? 1901?

I thought a utility man told me once that the electrical pole in my back yard was from 1901. Looking at the plates it sure looks like it would be 1935. Or does that dash mark on the top marker indicate a year?

The pole is in bad shape, looks like it is from 1901.

5 answers to this question

I googled "history of electricity in MN."

St. Anthony hydroplant was built 125 years ago, about 1880. Another site gave MN's power centennial as being 2006, so 1906.

It is near an old train track. Maybe it had some use for that?

Oh,well I was just curious.

NSP was incorporated in 1909 as Washington County Light & Power Company....On February 5, 1916, Byllesby changed his company's name to Northern States Power Company.

I googled "northern states power history" to find the link.

Can't you take a core sample with a fancy drill bit and count the rings? That should give you an idea how old the pole is.

Now, how long has it been in your backyard is another question. That depends in part on where you live and whether NSP was the electric service provider. The development and spread of the electric industry in Minnesota is somewhat interesting, and a whole lot more recent than many would think.