• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canoe Trailer?

Does anyone here know of a company that makes trailers for canoes? It has become a pain taking my canoe on and off the roof of my Explorer, and I have been pondering buying a small trailer for the canoe. I figured it would be much easier to load the canoe on a trailer, especially in the winter when I am often duck hunting alone. It also would give me some added storage for my decoys instead of filling the back of the SUV up. Would a 14 ft boat trailer work for a 17ft aluminum canoe. I would think that I could make it work. Any ideas or input. I will probably be getting rid of the SUV soon too, and it would make it easier to trailer it with a car than carry it on top as well.

I just googled canoe trailer and came up with several manufacturers of single canoe trailers. If you plan to convert your boat trailer, you may get some good ideas when you Google. I'm wondering which ones are easier on the canoe, the trailers that haul them upright or flipped over.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

MJ

A thought popped into my head. Could you convert a single jet ski trailer into a canoe trailer? It will likely have bunks on it. The only problem that I see is the length. You could probably build a support or two onto the PWC trailer and ratchet it down.

I've never dealt with this kind of trailer so the length may not work, but it's another option.

I was going to pick up one of those cheapie 4 x 8 folding trailers and make a neck extension for mine. I went from a Dodge Neon to a Ford Ranger, so it sucks getting the canoe on top. The canoe trailers were $600-700 and the folding job was only $275.

Google Remackel Welding in Forest Lake. I got a 4 x 8 trailer with a single bar for two canoes from them and love it. The bar comes off so it can be a canoe trailer or converted in two minutes to a straight utility trailer. They have a removable tailgate, and you can get ramp inserts as well. I use mine for everything, including the snowmobile. They're a little more expensive, but it's some of the best $$ I've ever spent. Great trailers, and Dennis really makes sure you're satisfied.

this old guy I met had the most amazing rack on his SUV for his jon boat. He had made a roller bar so you just needed to set the end of the boat on and slide it up. Then a clamp to lock it in place. He was 83 years old but could still wheel his boat up onto his roof himself.

Might be a fun DIY project for ya, cheaper and easier than a trailer perhaps?