Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huntingmaxima

Preparing Meals

9 posts in this topic

Just thought I would tell you guys what we do. We prepare all our meals, cook them, and then we put them into food saver bags. NOw when you need a meal all you have to do is warm them up by boiling water or nuking them. We do spagetti(?) the noodle,meal loaf , sloppy joes, the ski is the limit. I hope this helps some of you .

I've been doing the same thing. Here is a link to a thread I posted last year about it:

Zera hassle camping food

Tell me some more about the details of what you are cooking. My wife made a really good chicken casserole that we sealed and froze. Took it up to Voyageurs last year and the guys went nuts over it.

When we were through, just toss the bags and your done. I hate doing dishes when I could be having fun smile

I don't know what kind of camping you're doing if you are nuking food smile

For backcountry camping I like making chili and soups, then dehydrating them. Just add water and cook for a while and you got yourself a nice meal!

I went camping with my son's Scout Troop a few years ago to Valleyfair. Some of the parents pre-cooked Mac N Cheese, and sealed in Freezer bags. At the campsite, we just heated water in a turkey-fryer and dropped the bags in until they were heated through.

We also did eggs that way. Sandwich size freezer bags, put in two eggs, cheese, ham, onions, mushrooms, whatever. Seal it up, mush it around to mix, drop in boiling water. You can put it in a tortilla shell and add some salsa.

Very easy stuff.

for me part of camping is firing up the grill for burgers, dogs, brats, steaks, chops, ribs...... I can have "prepared" food at home all week. when were in the camper, all the cooking is done outside on the grill or over the fire.

there are exceptions of course, we have two young kids, so we do make a box or 2 of mac and cheese to make life easier!!

I'm with ya Ryan. One of my favorite meals to cook outside while camping is eggs, bacon and fried potatoes. Not sure why, but somehow it tastes better than if I fix it at home in the kitchen.

One of the great things about camping is cooking outdoors, especially that fresh catch.

I love cooking a great meal by the lake over the campfire. Tastes great and it is fun.