• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tick removal

harvey lee

I recieved this from a friend.

A Helpful Tip on Removing Ticks

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.

Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who

even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And

it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick.

This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult

to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair,

etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-

soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come

out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This

technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and

it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging

in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had

one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this

method and immediately called me back to say, 'It worked!'

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint!

Harvey, you are full of good tips this morning.

I'll have to give this a try. Wonder if it matters if it is dish soap or hand soap?

My daughter's boyfriend had a tick this spring - was told that a match, vasoline, alchohal did not work ("old wives tale") and should use a tweezers to carefully remove with out leaving the head in the skin. Ended up breaking the head off in the skin and had to go to the doctors office to have it removed.

I wouldn't recommend it as it isn't true.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

You should always eye these "old wives" tricks with a little skepticism.

I don't know about that as I know peole that stated it worked.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1428893/Do_you_hate_ticks#Post1428893

I've always used a match. Just light the match and blow it out. Touch the hot tip to the back of the tick and they back right out. Never have to worry about them leaving their heads in.

Harvey, it didn't say it didn't work, it says "They may also make matters worse by stimulating the creatures to release additional saliva or regurgitate their gut contents, acts that increase the chance of it transmitting a pathogen to it's host."

I'm not saying you didn't give good advice, but you just have to be careful to not rip the heads off and such.

Not sure about the little bugger puking on me, but I used this method to remove a tick the other night. It was much easier to remove than just grabbing it with a tweezer, plus if someone grabbed me with a tweezer I would puke so what's the difference. I usually have a bad reaction to tick bites, (they turn into large ulcerous sores) but so far I haven't noticed any of the usual signs. Maybe because I used an anti-bacterial soap?